Flirc Forums

Setup and nearly working! Harmony + XBMC

Stevenlr

Well i have finally got my Flirc today.

Might is say first off, Jason & Chris have been excellent and helped me out a lot with obtaining one!

Anyway, onto the issue!

Basically i have a Harmony One PLus remote to control everything

I have the Flirc added as the recommended Panasonic TV profile and this work, BUT only when i go into Devices and then the correct profile on the Harmony remote.

If i just go from the 'Current Activity' menu it sends the command to my Main TV which causes it to bring up errors.

Is there a way to prioritise which device a command goes to?

For example in this one i want every command to go to Flirc and the only ones not to is the volume.

Another issue (Which i may just have to deal with) But i will only ever be using Flirc to control XBMC and as you can imagine when i want to use the remote, i have to first select XBMC as the program on my Mac, only then will the buttons work.

Is there a way to force it to send the commands to XBMC even if it isn't the App that you are presently controlling?

I probably haven't made sense in this but if you can help in anyway i would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

Steven

Hi again Stevenlr, thanks for making the thread,

Is there a way to prioritise which device a command goes to?

For example in this one i want every command to go to Flirc and the only ones not to is the volume.

When you're in myharmony.com go into the flirc device (i.e. panasonic) then go to the volume buttons. If you click on them you should be able to tell the harmony to use the "TV" profile when the volume buttons are pressed but when any other button is pressed then it will continue using the flirc profile.

Another issue (Which i may just have to deal with) But i will only ever be using Flirc to control XBMC and as you can imagine when i want to use the remote, i have to first select XBMC as the program on my Mac, only then will the buttons work.

You could try and map a remote button to Apple key+tab (this would scroll through the apps that are open)

Or if XBMC isn't open assign a keyboard combination to start xbmc control+apple key+X (for example)

Does this help?

When you're in myharmony.com go into the flirc device (i.e. panasonic) then go to the volume buttons. If you click on them you should be able to tell the harmony to use the "TV" profile when the volume buttons are pressed but when any other button is pressed then it will continue using the flirc profile.

Thanks for helping me Chris, erm this one I can see in my activity that i use, Samsung TV has Direction Up assigned to the up arrow

Only thing is, how on earth do i remove it :P?

You could try and map a remote button to Apple key+tab (this would scroll through the apps that are open)

Or if XBMC isn't open assign a keyboard combination to start xbmc control+apple key+X (for example)

If i set a key combination to start XBMC, im guessing this would work if it was already open as it would bring it to the front?

Another thing on this one is how do assign a keyboard combination? haha :) Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks for helping me Chris, erm this one I can see in my activity that i use, Samsung TV has Direction Up assigned to the up arrow

Only thing is, how on earth do i remove it :P?

Do you not want direction up assigned to the up arrow? I think you can only assign certain buttons buttons to different devices (e.g. vol up, vol down and mute)

If i set a key combination to start XBMC, im guessing this would work if it was already open as it would bring it to the front?

Another thing on this one is how do assign a keyboard combination? haha :)

Hmm... opening an app with a keyboard combination seems a little harder on Mac than windows. We can always use apple key+tab to scroll through open apps.

To map those buttons to a remote control button, program flirc the ususal way but instead of just pressing one key on the virtual keyboard in Flirc GUI - press all the buttons of the key combo then press your remote control button.

Sorry to be a pain!

Never a pain when people are polite :)

Do you not want direction up assigned to the up arrow? I think you can only assign certain buttons buttons to different devices (e.g. vol up, vol down and mute)

Hmm... opening an app with a keyboard combination seems a little harder on Mac than windows. We can always use apple key+tab to scroll through open apps.

To map those buttons to a remote control button, program flirc the ususal way but instead of just pressing one key on the virtual keyboard in Flirc GUI - press all the buttons of the key combo then press your remote control button.

Never a pain when people are polite :)

Managed to setup the Apple +Tab button but it only really works if it was the last app open so i only have to press it once

If it is say 5th its quite hard to select as i can't see the computer screen from where i sit

Any ideas on where to find a guide for mapping a key to opening a program? :/