Flirc Forums

XBMC Android

comatose1978

Hehe, being in the XBMC Team has advantages. Thanks a lot for your sponsorship, BTW :)

Besides the dev kits, they are currently shipping to the kickstarter backers. The non-kickstarter pre-orders will only be fulfilled starting June, Ithink.

My sincere pleasure and the least I can do, XBMC is the reason why I started flirc. I only wish I had more time to poor into it, with a full time job and a new born baby, I'm working literally non-stop.

Ah, makes sense. I'll see if I can get android on the raspberry pi up and running to see if the same thing happens. Although, it could be the USB chip in there, which is probably just the phy on the Nvidia tegra, so really I should just try and find a development kit at work.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, even with "interkey_delay", there is something fishy...

It looks like it works for a while, then the sticky keys syndrome comes back.

Removing the flirc, waiting a bit, then re-inserting seems to again make it work for a while...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi still needing help with back key please.

I had an issue with my TV dongle refusing to boot so I have flashed the device with the Finless Custom Rom (now rooted, hooray), so TV stick back in action.

I discovered that the escape, backspace and windows keys on my USB keyboard weren't mapped at all in Android, so I have now mapped them using an app called keytest and edited the qwerty.kl file in /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl. These keys are now fully functional in the Android operating system but still not in the XBMC app, despite my installing the keyboard.xml file in Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/

Help greatly appreciated.

I'm still not sure about this issue. Unfortunately I don't have an android device I can plug my flirc into but it appears others haven't had the issues you've had.

Perhaps this is device related.

Which keymap did you put in the userdata folder?

Hi to all,

I have MINIX Neo X5 that has IR receiver inside. So, I would like to use my tv remote to control MINIX without flirc receiver. Is it possible?

Where I can download the apk file for android? I saw only Linux win and Os version.

Thank you in advance

Davide

Hi to all,

I have MINIX Neo X5 that has IR receiver inside. So, I would like to use my tv remote to control MINIX without flirc receiver. Is it possible?

Where I can download the apk file for android? I saw only Linux win and Os version.

Thank you in advance

Davide

I think you're getting confused. Flirc is a hardware product - they software does nothing without the flirc hardware.

Also Flirc programming utility isn't available on android.

I'm still not sure about this issue. Unfortunately I don't have an android device I can plug my flirc into but it appears others haven't had the issues you've had.

Perhaps this is device related.

Which keymap did you put in the userdata folder?

Hi still needing help with back key please.

I had an issue with my TV dongle refusing to boot so I have flashed the device with the Finless Custom Rom (now rooted, hooray), so TV stick back in action.

I discovered that the escape, backspace and windows keys on my USB keyboard weren't mapped at all in Android, so I have now mapped them using an app called keytest and edited the qwerty.kl file in /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl. These keys are now fully functional in the Android operating system but still not in the XBMC app, despite my installing the keyboard.xml file in Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/

Help greatly appreciated.

There is definitely an issue with XBMC Android and the Escape, Backspace, and the shift key. They work in Android 4.1.1 in all apps except XBMC. There have been quite a few posts about this issue over at the XBMC forums but no solution that I've found.

There is definitely an issue with XBMC Android and the Escape, Backspace, and the shift key. They work in Android 4.1.1 in all apps except XBMC. There have been quite a few posts about this issue over at the XBMC forums but no solution that I've found.

I know i'm not much help as I don't have an android device to test this on but I've been in contact with one of the Team-XBMC members that has used Flirc with Ouya (android based) and they didn't remember having any problems mapping those buttons.

What XBMC android version are you using?

I don't have Ouya but a MK808 mini PC with Android 4.1.1 running XBMC 12.2. The keyboard I am using is a Rii mini Wireless Keyboard/Mouse. Here is one of the threads at the XBMC forums about this issue:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158874&highlight=escape+key

And like I said, those keys work fine elsewhere in Android and other applications. It is just XBMC where they do not work correctly.

I'm getting more and more confused by this issue (not getting frustrated with you though).

I'm intrigued to see if it works fine on Ouya (we'll see what koying finds). I can't understand why it wouldn't work on one android system the same as another.

Would really appreciate other users input on this too. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

Ooohh right, this is a bug I solved a while ago and forgot about. I guess it didn't make it into the 12.x branch, sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, for XBMC on Android, I highly suggest you try my "libstagefright" builds (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005), which brings H/W accelerated video to most android devices. This one is based on the 13.x branch and has the keyboard fix ;)

Hate to keep dredging this up but I received my new Flirc and programmed my DirecTV remote on the Windows 8 PC. I programmed the "Exit" button on the remote as "Escape" and programmed the "Back" key on the remote as "Backspace". It works flawlessly in XBMC on the Windows 8 PC. Then I unplug the Flirc and move it to my MK808 mini PC with Android 4.1.1 running XBMC "libstagefright" build posted by Koying above. Everything works great except the "Exit" button and "Back" button do absolutely nothing on the Android setup of XBMC. And those keys do work as Escape and Backspace in other applications on the MK808. They just don't work within XBMC.

Any ideas? (I am pretty sure this is not a Flirc problem but just fishing if anyones expertise here may shed some light on what the issue may be)

• Like 1

Yeah in order to fix that you need to changed the key map in android (see my guide) it might be qwerty.kl on your device

escape is button 1 which you can changed to "BACK VIRTUAL" I'm not sure what button backspace is but you can find out using this app: https://github.com/downloads/chrisboyle/keytest/KeyTest.apk.

If you want one of the buttons to bring up the context menu or android menu in other apps program it to "MENU VIRTUAL" also the home button function is probably "HOME" on your box though it is different on ouya which I use.

I have one question which is driving me nuts. Does anyone know how to map the android media buttons ie: media play, pause, stop ,ff, etc the those functions on xbmc? They work on nearly every other app but not xbmc so I don't want to change them to the letter keys. I heard there is an XML file that stores this info but do not know where is is or how to specify the media keys

• 2 weeks later...

I got the keys I programmed as "Backspace" and "Escape" to work by using the attached "keyboard.xml" file that someone had posted at the XBMC forums. Well, not perfectly as both keys do backspace but it is good enough. The Flirc controlled remote even works for navigating around the Android OS with the arrow keys and the enter and exit keys. Pretty sweet setup now.

Edit: oh yeah, with the above "keyboard.xml" file the Rii mini keyboard keys (Escape, backspace, and shift) still don't work within XBMC but the Flirc remote does.

keyboard.xml

• Like 1

I got the keys I programmed as "Backspace" and "Escape" to work by using the attached "keyboard.xml" file that someone had posted at the XBMC forums. Well, not perfectly as both keys do backspace but it is good enough. The Flirc controlled remote even works for navigating around the Android OS with the arrow keys and the enter and exit keys. Pretty sweet setup now.

Edit: oh yeah, with the above "keyboard.xml" file the Rii mini keyboard keys (Escape, backspace, and shift) still don't work within XBMC but the Flirc remote does.

Thanks so much for posting this