Flirc Forums

Help with Flirc for Raspberry Pi / Kodi Media Server

I received my Flirc this morning. Syncing to my remote control was a breeze. But I'm trying to optimize things.

Right now Flirc is plugged into my Raspberry Pi 3 running Kodi. Generally I leave my Raspberry Pi on all the time. Which means, if I'm using my TV on another application like Netflix (which runs from an app on the TV) I have to press the arrow keys and enter keys to navigate. Since Flirc is still plugged in and the Pi is on, this means that while I'm browsing Netflix I am also blindly navigating around Kodi files and settings. Obviously there's a potential for something to go horribly wrong here.

Is there a way for my Pi to know when to not receive signals from Flirc?  Can it somehow be attached to the signal, so that Flirc only sends signals to Kodi when the Pi's input is active?

Hi, I have a very similar scenario with the same issue.   I have a windows media center still running (yes, I know, it's ancient, but my wife still has a bunch of crap stored in there), and I have a RPI 4 with Kodi (libreelec) installed.   I use a logitech harmony hub to control all the devices.  Everything was fairly easy to set up, but when I'm using the media center, the remote signals are the same for a lot of the kodi stuff, so when I'm doing stuff on media center the FLIRC in the RPI picks up the signals and does stuff.  Is there a way to tell the FLIRC to "not listen" until a certain signal comes in that tells it to "turn on"?

The only workaround I've thought of so far is in the harmony software, instead of setting the device as FLIRC Kodi, use some other device, then "train" the FLIRC to listen to those signals and translate them.  I guess that could work, but not for those who don't use harmony, and is generally a pain in the butt since you have to remap all the buttons / signals.

Any ideas?