Flirc Forums

an ENABLE/DISABLE function

Budwyzer

For my tv remote that I bought this for, this worked great. But my new tv, oddly has a remote that doesn't have a switch or buttons to change what device it's sending signals too.

Originally I could switch my remote to DVD, which I had the codes set for for my FLIRC. Then I could change it back to TV and it wouldnt mess up anything on my computer if I was hitting the arrow keys or Enter key.

Now though, my remote doesnt have this option, and when I'm cruising through the Netflix or Amazon video lists it's messing with my PC too.

I don't think there is, so I'm asking for it, could we get a button to enable/disable the rest of the keys in the FLIRC?

41yBP01z5rL._SY300_.jpg

Here's the remote. I could use the "yellow" key to disable/enable the flirc, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't do a darn thing.

• Like 2

Originally I could switch my remote to DVD, which I had the codes set for for my FLIRC. Then I could change it back to TV and it wouldnt mess up anything on my computer if I was hitting the arrow keys or Enter key.

How come you could switch functions before but can't anymore?

So, what do you guys think? Because as I see TVs becoming smarter, I can see the remotes becoming more like this. My new TV has Amazon video, Netflix, Vudu, all that stuff, and Im pretty sure there's an option for controlling the optical output volume as well so I wont need my stereo remote for anything more than to turn it on.

With this level of programmability being introduced into televisions there is little need for that old "TV/DVD/SAT/AUX" switch anymore, and thus a growing need for an Enable/Disable function.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am having the exact same issue so I went searching for it and came across this post. Has this function been added? It's been a while.

I'm currently using my Panasonic TV remote to control XBMC on my always-on HTPC running SABnzbd and functioning as a ghetto NAS. A button to turn the flirc on/off would be perfect so I don't mess up everything every time I just want to watch TV.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since I can't use the Panasonic remote then, I'm thinking about buying an Apple remote for the WAF. Quick question though, since it's hard to find proper information on here (for me). If I buy one, will it work with long keypresses so I can use the hold functions listed here? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_remote

If I buy one, will it work with long keypresses so I can use the hold functions listed here? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_remote

Unfortunately not. Where long-press functionality is mentioned in the beta's it relates to the ability for flirc to be more responsive and detect when you're scrolling (not pressing the button multiple times).

I saw your post of the XBMC forums an hopefully someone can help - I can't think of anything at the moment but if I do i'll get back to you

Oh, sad to hear that. It seems like flirc is not yet for me, I will try to find another solution and check back on progress in a few months.  

Thanks a lot for your help, you're a real boon to these forums.

No worries :)

We want Flirc to be useful to you.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar remote to the one pictured above.  A disable/enable feature would be very helpful.  Did this get included in one of the recent updates?

Don't think so - I think Jason got bogged down in an issue with one of the features.

I'll add this to out new issue/feature tracking app we have :)

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Next week I will receive a FLIRC usb dongle. I thought on/off was legacy supported. :(

My remote only has "TV function", not DVD/SAT so being able to turn on/off FLIRC would be very important for me.

Awaiting FLIRC and an update to "improve" this.

Thanx.

Edited by jllussa

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Configure one remote key to enable/disable flirc inputs -> This key would set a flag to 0 or 1.

if (flag = 0) and (IR_KEY is "remote key to enable/disable")  Set Flag to 1       

else if (flag = 1) and (IR_KEY is "remote key to enable/disable")  Set Flag to 0   

else if flag = 1 then all IR keys accepted

else  do nothing;

Easy, don't you think?  :P