Flirc Forums

Voice search with non-Nvidia remote on Nvidia Shield TV

TMWNN

I've used the same universal IR remote for years, and continue to use it with my 2017 Nvidia Shield TV via Flirc. The remote does not have a microphone, but it is still possible to use voice search.

Using flirc_util record_macro 128 0 I instead have Flirc trained to send the right Windows key, Android keycode META_RIGHT. The key itself isn't important; choose one that is redundant (the left Windows key does the same thing as the right, and this way I can trigger voice search when using a real keyboard) or unused. Two ways to convert this binding to KEYCODE_SEARCH on Shield:

•  Button Mapper (on Play Store): Advanced | Custom keycode (ver 2) | 84
  •  Keyboard/Button Mapper (on Play Store, but needs sideloading for Shield TV): Choose Action | Key Code | KEYCODE_SEARCH

KEYCODE_SEARCH behaves differently depending on context. In voice search-aware apps (Example: YouTube), it searches within the app itself. In the Android TV launcher, and non voice search-aware apps (Example: Prime Video), it activates the general Google Assistant voice search.1 Nothing happens in some apps (Example: Reelgood).

Optional: In Button Mapper I have the same key open Assistant when long pressed, to invoke Google Assistant voice search no matter where I am: Actions | Assistant, then More Options | disable Alternate assistant. I describe another method in the above-linked HID Consumer Codes discussion.

1 "Ok Google" does not work with non-Nvidia mics

Edited by TMWNN
Make linked discussion visible