Flirc Forums

Correct mapping to use shield pro on screen keyboard ?

Romain

Hi guys,

I was able to correctly map almost all the buttons between shield pro 2019 and a harmony 350.

Current issue i have is that the 'ok/enter' mapping does not work with the on screen keyboard (for example through the main search or through Plex search for example or any other app that uses the standard leanback or Gboard keyboards). Currently typing a letter makes the keyboard disappear and the letter is not typed.

The ok button works for everything else with the harmony. Like opening an app, playing a file , etc.

Seems strange that they would use two different codes when typing and any other 'ok/enter' action ?

Anyone else seeing the same ? 

As a workaround I found that I can use the Android TV app on my phone as a remote keyboard which is pretty convenient. Or the shield remote just for typing. Ideally I'd like to find a solution.

I am using :

- the very latest beta firmware (3.24.3.3) hat was listed in another thread. 

- mapping settings from the other thread using full keyboard and media keys mappings

- shield pro 2019

- harmony 350

Thanks !

Thanks !!

Upon further testing it seems like when using the harmony remote on the virtual keyboard, it is is currently sending the code to click on 'search' after you have typed what you wanted to search, but not what corresponds to 'i want to type that character selected on screen'

At least when mapping the central ok button on the shield remote to enter/return on the full keyboard layout in the flirc UI.

When you type a few characters with the shield remote or the Android TV phone app, and the click OK on the remote, it sends that search correctly.

Some apps such as Kodi don't have the issue, presumably because they have implemented their own keyboard and it responds well to the 'ok' button press 

Can you give this a shot:

For windows, copy the Program Files (x86)\Flirc directory to your desktop and replace the contents of the folder on your desktop with the zip attached.

You can grab 7zip to unzip that.

You'll also need to re-learn these buttons.

Linux: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/linux/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Mac: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/mac/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.dmg

Windows: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/win/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Please let me know how that goes.

Just tested and it works !! 

I had to erase all settings on flirc and remap all according to the previous templates recommendations. Will post later the full settings that worked for me. 

ReLearning just 'ok' with the new settings was not enough. The media keys stopped working without remapping them cleanly after formatting the flirc 

Much appreciate the quick support !

Really glad I found this product and didn't buy an expensive new remote. Thanks again !

Ok, in case it helps other, for the Nvidia SHield 2019 pro and Harmony 350 here are the mappings i used : 

Using manucturer nvidia and shield as the model name in harmony software (others may work, that is the one i used - flirc in harmony gave only 2 buttons to assign strangely). 

Use seettings from this original post

Except for the following buttons : 

- Menu can be assigned through flirc_util record_api 0 101 as discussed in this thread : 

- Back should be assigned to escape on full keyboard (making sure to not use the home and back assignments on the nvidia shield harmony template, as for some reason they send the same IR code so would overwrite themselves when doing the flirc mapping.

- I assigned the 'exit' physical button to 'left trigger' and used that as the button for home 'windows+enter as described in the link thread)

- OK button should be assigned from the new gen2 shield flirc profile and this very latest 3.24.3.12

- power button can be assigned also from the new gen2 shield profile. 

1 hour ago, Romain said:

Ok, in case it helps other, for the Nvidia SHield 2019 pro and Harmony 350 here are the mappings i used : 

Using manucturer nvidia and shield as the model name in harmony software (others may work, that is the one i used - flirc in harmony gave only 2 buttons to assign strangely). 

Use seettings from this original post

Except for the following buttons : 

- Menu can be assigned through flirc_util record_api 0 101 as discussed in this thread : 

- Back should be assigned to escape on full keyboard (making sure to not use the home and back assignments on the nvidia shield harmony template, as for some reason they send the same IR code so would overwrite themselves when doing the flirc mapping.

- I assigned the 'exit' physical button to 'left trigger' and used that as the button for home 'windows+enter as described in the link thread)

- OK button should be assigned from the new gen2 shield flirc profile and this very latest 3.24.3.12

- power button can be assigned also from the new gen2 shield profile. 

All buttons should be able to be done with the new gen2 controller on the new GUI. 

For harmony remotes, you shouldn’t need to learn any buttons. I updated the built in firmware so that flirc sends the right mappings when it receives the harmony/shield buttons. The only thing with the harmony profile is that they don’t have enough buttons.