Flirc Forums

Improvement Idea for Raspberry Pi 4 Case

bigmike678

• 1 month later...

I think that would be great - I'd love to see one that allows for HATS to be installed stealthily - modify the design to lower the entire metal area over and between the HAT mounting holes to a lower flat level that still contacts the CPU and USB controller (with slots for camera and display ribbon cables plus the POE header). Given the Pi 4 has such low connectors you would probably not normally need a GPIO riser to fit one.

The plastic top would still be level, but could extend down three sides if the 'shelf' makes it too hard to cast. Status displays, TV inputs, UPS batteries would all love this option, and if you didn't need it you can always install a heat sink (or fan) to further help cooling as the top will still cover the void. Throw in a 3D model of the plastic bit (so people can print their own custom tops for taller hats) and you have a makers dream case ;)

If someone has a mill they could probably mock it up... anyone?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My request would be for an aluminum clip on top that could replace the soft touch plastic top.  I’m currently using FLIRC cases for Pi 4s running scientific processing (boinc rosetta@home).  Since all 4 CPUs run 24x7 (And I have them over volted and over clocked to 2100), it can get quite warm.  Removing the soft touch cap knocks about 10c off (70c to 60c) and just resting a heatsink on the top (on old Thermaltake volcano 6cu) takes off another 8c. I imagine a clip on, small finned, aluminum top with a little cheap thermal paste would keep the temps around 55c passive and much less if you pointed a fan at it.

Here is hoping someone reads these posts!

• 4 weeks later...

I love the present configuration of the Flirc Case, but I think it can be improved greatly. One of the things  I like less about the raspberry pi configuration is the mess of cables. I recently purchased an Argon One case and I really like it. In fact I considered replacing my Flirc Case with it until I realized that the USB ports now come out the back, thus rendering the remote sensor inoperative.

The obvious solution is to have one of them routed by a hat to face front and have the sensor actually be embedded in the case facing the user or similar. As Pis become more powerful I see more people turning to them for more things. In my opinion the Pi still needs a lot of work done in the case area and I personally prefer the aluminum cases. These are just my thoughts.

What are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...