Flirc Forums

Wake Up using a recent Ubuntu + XBMC HTPC

ariflirc

These are instructions that worked for my ubuntu 12.04-based XBMC HTPC.

None of the other howtos I could find actually worked for me. Recent ubuntus (e.g. 12.04 or later) use udev and automatically query the "wakeup" capability of USB devices, and allow setting the "wakeup" property of the device only if it supports it.

The "stable" FLIRC firmware does not expose the "wakeup" capability to the kernel. Only later "fw_wakeup" betas do (starting in v2 I think).

Anyhow - here is the procedure that did the trick for me - YMMV but at least this will give you some hopefully useful pointers :)

For wake-up to work with newer ubuntu’s with udev, the “Wake Up Firmware v6” is required. This method works in recent ubuntus (e.g. 12.04 or later)

Connect FLIRC to the HTPC - then do:

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 20a0:0001 Clay Logic

Note: Bus 5, Device 2. Note also: Vendor ID: 20a0; Device ID: 0001

lsusb -t

….

/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci_hcd/5p, 12M

|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 1, Class=vend., Driver=, 1.5M

Note: Bus 05, Port 4 Now if flashed with a “recent wake up” firmware, FLIRC will advertise via USB that it can wake up the machine, and this can be verified by querying the “power” capabilities of “Bus 05, Port 4”:

ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-4/power

active_duration 	  control 			 runtime_enabled 		wakeup_active 	   wakeup_max_time_ms

async 				level 			   runtime_status 		 wakeup_active_count  wakeup_total_time_ms

autosuspend 		  persist 			 runtime_suspended_time  wakeup_count

autosuspend_delay_ms  runtime_active_kids  runtime_usage 		  wakeup_hit_count

connected_duration	runtime_active_time  wakeup  wakeup_last_time_ms

If “wakeup” shows up in the listing, all is good. With the original “non-wakeup” firmware, no wakeup capability was showing up. Note: the old (pre udev) way of activating wakeup (sh -c 'echo "USB4" > /proc/acpi/wakeup') no longer works in ubuntu 12.04+ Now we can manually test if wakeup works by doing (note the use of the "bus" and the "port" addresses):

echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-4/power/wakeup

Suspend / resume should now work. This could be added to rc.local - the problem with this approach is that if the FLIRC is moved to a different USB port, wakeup won’t work. The best approach is to create a new udev rule:

cd /etc/udev/rules.d/

vi 90-flircwakeup.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"

This will allow wake for the FLIRC no matter where it is connected.

Note that for wake up to work, the “wake up” key has to be recorded using the “flirc” utility.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@ ariflirc

Thank you for your post - I almost started panicking when I switched from xbmcbuntu with older kernel to minimal 12.10.

I had a bit different experience with my system which is based on Zotac H55 board.

Using flirc on win7, openelec and xbmcbuntu I never had need to upgrade from v1 fw. When I switched to minimal

12.10 all of the sudden wake did not work. After finding your post I made new udev rule and it all seemed to work, but..

If I used any other fw accept v1 my flirc would wake system on any remote activity in living room and it would not be present

in my system until I would plug it into diferent usb. It would be ok if i wake my system with "wake command" but that was impossible

​to achieve.

If i used fw 1 with your udev rule i could wake system with any key on remote (like on other systems I used before) but flirc was

again not present on my system after resume.

Resolution was to use v1 fw, so my system would not wake on any remote activity

and to make a resume script that will reset USB port with flirc after resume.

sudo nano /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_flirc_resume

case "${1}" in

hibernate|suspend)

# Switch USB buses off

echo -n "0000:00:1d.7" | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind

;;

resume|thaw)

# Switch USB buses on

echo -n "0000:00:1d.7" | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/bind

;;

esac

Note: this is copy of my script it will need to be changed to work on different system.

If anyone needs more info pls just ask :)

Regards

burke