Flirc Forums

FLIRC and URC MX-780 and RF blaster - "too many edges"

cortex

I recently switched from a HTPC to an nVidia shield, and purchased a FLIRC for controlling it with my URC Mx-780. The remote had worked flawlessly on my HTPC, which had a separate RF module. With the new system the remote input is very sluggish, to the point of being unusable. Additionally, any quick presses (e.g. doing a double press of one of the direction keys, etc) will not register at all. 

The debug window gives the constant error of "too many edges" with any quick key press. I have turned down the strength of the IR blaster to its lowest setting, but it still seems to occur. I have wrapped the blaster and the FLIRC window in opaque tape, and that hasn't helped. I have tried to put distance b/w the rf blaster and FLIRC device, but that hasn't helped either. I have tried programming the directional keys etc in multiple ways, including mapping both single and rapid clicks to the same button, but nothing has seemed to help. And when the device is plugged in, even single taps are very sluggish, or don't register at all (though they register when the device is plugged into a laptop). I can post some logs if that would be helpful. 

Any help would be great. I'm getting to be a bit frustrated with the whole process. 

I didn't have the FLIRC before I got the shield, so it's new to me. As far as the profiles, I'm using the "Shield" profile within the FLIRC device for the programming. As far as the URC remote goes, I'm still using the microsoft windows media center profile - AUX.252. I had been using it with my HTPC and it had seemed to work really well. 

Don't use that profile. Use a samsung or panasonic tv profile on your URC, whatever is not present in your setup. Windows MCE is funky, and although supported, I dunno what's happening with your repeater. Also, do your pairing without your repeater in another room.

Still getting the same issues even with the remap. Delayed recognition of button presses, ignoring double presses etc. The issue persists when using just the remote without the IR blaster. "too many edges" error is also seen with any double presses. 

These both look fine. Are you by a light source? Window, TV? Sometimes incandescent lights cause issues.

debug double press.txt has an issue where there are two many edges, but the signal before that is fine.

Let's try recording in another room, do a file->clear configuration. 

There should be no delay when pressing buttons either.

No, it shouldn't get warm, but if it's using too much power, the host will cut it off. 

Just because the media room is dark, doesn't mean there is no infrared light, you wouldn't see it. Try another room, format the config, disable all the built in profiles: File->Advanced

Give it another go. Keep me posted.

Ok so I seemed to have fixed it for now. If anyone else runs into this issue they can try this.

I jury-rigged a "tunnel" made out of some paper that separates the FLIRC module from the IR blaster by about 8 inches, taped to the FLIRC at one end, and the IR blaster at the other end.  This seemed to solve (most of) the issues with some of the poor registrations and delays. I had to crank up the strength of the IR blaster

Just wanted to say thanks to you Jason for helping to walk me thru this process. I realize my solution is unconventional, but hey, it works.