Flirc Forums

Any way to use my Sony TV remote?

Eddie Strike

I'm having issues trying to use flirc with my Sony TV's remote.

I was hoping it could turn my tv on/off but then use flirc to send inputs over to my HTPC.

It seems to be getting confused and not registering any keys properly... Other remotes that aren't connected to my TV work fine.

Any workarounds for this? 

Thanks

Can you elaborate what this means: "It seems to be getting confused and not registering any keys properly... Other remotes that aren't connected to my TV work fine."

Make sure you're on the latest firmware. We're on v4.4.2, and that has some fixes for sony remotes.

• Thanks 1

Are you trying to use your original TV remote you're using to also control your TV, to also control your HTPC? Does this remote has any universal remote control capability? If not then both your TV and HTPC (through Flirc) will see the same signal and react to it - both devices may execute some actions upon pressing some buttons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jason said:

Can you elaborate what this means: "It seems to be getting confused and not registering any keys properly... Other remotes that aren't connected to my TV work fine."

Make sure you're on the latest firmware. We're on v4.4.2, and that has some fixes for sony remotes.

I'm on firmware 4.1 but the GUI doesn't detect any update.

11 minutes ago, yawor said:

Are you trying to use your original TV remote you're using to also control your TV, to also control your HTPC? Does this remote has any universal remote control capability? If not then both your TV and HTPC (through Flirc) will see the same signal and react to it - both devices may execute some actions upon pressing some buttons.

Basically, when I bind a button to the Sony remote, it doesn't register and the signal seems to get eaten by the TV instead of sending it to the FLIRC device.

The buttons I was hoping to use with flirc didn't really do any universal functions on the TV while in HDMI input mode so I had hopes it would work fine.