Flirc Forums

Gen 2 not working with remote that works with gen 1

hank2468

Just purchased a Gen 2 and it won't work with the same remote as I have working with my Gen 1, more specifically with the directional keys.

Keep getting "<3>record_hash(323): hash exists" with different buttons. These buttons register as individual buttons on Gen 1, but not on Gen 2. If i can get the different buttons registered, it sends the wrong command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's very frustrating, especially as Gen 1 works flawlessly. 

4 hours ago, yawor said:

Can you tell something more about the remote itself? Brand, model? Maybe some picture?

I have been using a 5in1 remote by acoustic research (remote1.jpg) but i tried several other remotes from other devices like a dvd player (remote2.jpg) and i get the same issue. In addition it isn't just the direction keys that are the issue. To test some others out I just tried programming the numbers on the remotes with keyboard letters and the same thing happens where a couple of buttons in it gives me a message saying that the button is assigned, and if i can get it to assign, then when i use a text editor to test the buttons it returns different assignments.

This issue doesn't happen with the GEN 1 and all buttons assign correctly and return the correct command once assigned.

remote1.jpg

remote2.jpg

Can you enable IR debugging in the log window?

After you enable it, observe if something is showing up even when you don't press anything on the remote. If there's something it would seem that Flirc is seeing some rogue IR signal. Press some buttons on the remote (you don't need to press record before) until you receive few "too many edges" errors. Save the log file and attach it here.

1 hour ago, yawor said:

Can you enable IR debugging in the log window?

After you enable it, observe if something is showing up even when you don't press anything on the remote. If there's something it would seem that Flirc is seeing some rogue IR signal. Press some buttons on the remote (you don't need to press record before) until you receive few "too many edges" errors. Save the log file and attach it here.

With IR debugging there is nothing that shows up until i press keys on the remote.

I tried a couple of times and didn't get the "too many edges" error again. see log1 for where i pressed the directional keys on my remote control 10 times each... up x10, right x10, down x10, left x20...is it returning a different code every time i press the same button?

log2 was trying to save the directional keys on the remote to the directional keyboard keys in order up, right, down, left. after saving up, every other save attempt gave a message saying button already exists.

I have also attached the working config file for the same remote from my gen1 that works without any issues if that helps?

many thanks

log1.txt

log2.txt

my_flirc_config.fcfg

OK, thanks for the files.

From what I can see it was a Sony remote. I've decoded the data from your log and it's a Sony20 protocol with device 26 and subdevice 73. Signals in the log look ok for me (the variation in timings is normal). It should still generate the same hash value. I think Flirc doesn't detect the end of the frame properly (Sony uses really short padding between signals) and thinks that the next frame is still a part of previous one.

At least that's what I'm getting after configuring my universal remote to use Sony20 protocol. In my case the padding is even shorter (12 ms opposed to 13-15 ms in your file) which causes it to error out almost all the time.

What about other remotes you've tried using with Flirc 2? Can you also do the same with them?

Can you set your universal remote to some other device code? Preferably to some LG, Samsung or Panasonic device (try few of each of them).

10 hours ago, yawor said:

OK, thanks for the files.

From what I can see it was a Sony remote. I've decoded the data from your log and it's a Sony20 protocol with device 26 and subdevice 73. Signals in the log look ok for me (the variation in timings is normal). It should still generate the same hash value. I think Flirc doesn't detect the end of the frame properly (Sony uses really short padding between signals) and thinks that the next frame is still a part of previous one.

At least that's what I'm getting after configuring my universal remote to use Sony20 protocol. In my case the padding is even shorter (12 ms opposed to 13-15 ms in your file) which causes it to error out almost all the time.

What about other remotes you've tried using with Flirc 2? Can you also do the same with them?

Can you set your universal remote to some other device code? Preferably to some LG, Samsung or Panasonic device (try few of each of them).

Tried with an LG remote and it works fine with no issues. reprogrammed my universal remote and it's working.

Is there any way to get it working with a sony20 remote? Not an issue at the moment now i have it set up with the LG but just thinking forward to future uses.

Many thanks for your help