Flirc Forums

Search button from keyboard on Flirc

PeterMac

Hello,

I bought Flirc for my Nvidia Shield TV to learn Voice Search key and first I learn Windows key by command line (by this command flirc_util.exe record_api 8 0) which work fine but what I noticed now this command always turn on Google Assistant not real Voice Search in apps like on YouTube, Spotify etc.

I connected my Logitech K400 Plus keyboard which have "Search" key on F5 key (this is not F5 key, on this keyboard to push F5 you have to push it with FN, without combination with FN it's a Search key), and this key work corectlly, on Home menu it turn on Google Assistant, on YouTube app turn on Voice searching exactly the same as orginal Shield remote.

So my question is how to learn this "Search" key on Flirc ?

I will be very appreciate for help.

-font-b-Logitech-b-font-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-font-b-K400-b-font-Plus-with.jpg

Edited by PeterMac

• 3 months later...

The correct buttons for the Shield are all from the HID Consumer table (despite what NV seems to mention).  The Search is 0x221 AC Search.  This is not supported by the current Flirc software as it can't do any consumer codes above a certain number.

If Flirc were updated to support all consumer usage table codes it would be a lot more versatile as a general purpose HID input device. There are many USB-enabled products that may still employ very custom HID solutions, but a composite device with keyboard & consumer at a minimum would do most everything posters here are interested in.  

This is a great suggestion: 

IMO, why stop there though. Full support for all (sensible) usage tables would be even better.  Gaming device, LED, Generic desktop,  simulation - this would require being able to set a lot more parameters than the current keyboard-only codebase allows.

Edited by foto808

@foto808 well, it's not that easy. It's not enough to send a hid report with specific hid usage, the device needs to first send a hid descriptor telling the host system what it is and what it does. If you send gamepad usage codes without first telling host system that you're a gamepad, the system won't know what to do with that report.

Also many hid codes have extra payload like the X/Y axis position.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize that the device has to declare itself as composite and include descriptors for all the usage tables it will support.  But without the necessary consumer codes, the NVIDIA SHIELD control, for example, is only half-baked and will never work the way many customers would expect it to.