Flirc Forums

Assigning multiple buttons to same key

ianevans

Just trying to configure the Flirc with my Mythtv system and I'm a little confused as how to assign multiple buttons on my remote to the MythTV keybindings using the Full Keyboard setup.

For example, Both the left arrow key and the circular arrow key in Myth are "left" but I can only assign the left arrow key on the flirc setup keyboard to one button. Or am I missing something?

You can only assign a single key combination per each individual remote button. A key combination is a normal key + optional modifier keys (shift, ctrl, meta/win, alt). There's a feature planned that will allow to create key sequences: one press of a remote button will execute a user predefined sequence of key presses, but it's not yet implemented.

Why would you want to assign multiple keys anyway? Can you describe in more details what do you want to achieve?

Sorry, I guess the wording in my question was unclear. Say 'Q' sends a skip back command to the myth software.

There are two buttons on the remote, a back arrow and a skip back circular arrow that both do the same thing. I might hit one, wife likes using the other. Right now I can't say that both buttons can send the Q.

You can have multiple remote buttons assigned to the same key/function in Flirc. Just record the same key in the GUI multiple times pressing different remote button each time.

So in your example, click on the Q key in the GUI, the software will ask you to press a button on the remote. Press the back arrow on the remote. The click the Q key in the GUI once again and when asked, press the circular arrow on the remote.

When the keyboard key/remote button pair is saved into the Flirc, only the remote button must be unique. If it's not unique (it's been already assigned to some keyboard key) then you'll get an error that the button is already in use.

Try using something different then. At least to try find the cause.

If you don't have a Samsung TV, create a profile for some newer model in your Harmony and record few keys (especially the ones that you have problems with like direction keys). Samsung uses NECx2 protocol which works really well with Flirc. You can also try using LG or Panasonic TV profile.

I have an LG TV. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying to, for example, choose the non-TV device button on the Harmony I'm currently using to control Myth, assign that to a Samsung TV and then use that profile to program the virtual keyboard. I'll give it a whirl in a bit.

Thanks.