Flirc Forums

Dual press with FireTV

J to the B

I'm using Flirc with a Sharp Aquos. I've disabled the FireTV's CEC support, so it shouldn't be getting a press from that.

However, every time I press left or right (unless I'm extremely gentle), I get two presses instead of one in that it moves two to the left, two to the right.

The advanced section of the GUI is grayed out and everything is disabled. I set the interkey delay via the command line, but the change isn't persistent or doesn't appear at all:

flirc_util version v2.3.9 [v2.3.9]
  Firmware: v4.0.24 [0x80CA1DDF]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  NA
  noise canceler:   NA
  inter-key delay:  NA
  seq. modifiers:   NA
  variant:          Flirc
  builtin profiles: NA
  Memory Info:      NA

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash       ID   key
-----  --------   --   ---
    0  01DE8DAD   04   right_shift !
    1  C417B814   04   right_cmd !
    2  D90898D4   01   up
    3  417CC92D   01   right
    4  A7684222   01   down
    5  2F05736D   01   left
    6  E72C4D7B   02   left_ctrl+left_alt+left_cmd+right_alt+right_cmd !
    7  7F40EE94   02   left_ctrl+left_shift+right_ctrl+right_shift+right_cmd !
    8  1453333B   02   left_alt+right_ctrl+right_shift+right_cmd !
    9  A76299ED   01    !
   10  21D7FE21   01    !

Any ideas?

Edited by J to the B
Changing title based on updated info

Correction...this happens on Up and Down as well as left/right. I tried formatting and re-recording, but no dice.

flirc_util version v2.3.9 [v2.3.9]
  Firmware: v4.0.24 [0x80CA1DDF]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  NA
  noise canceler:   NA
  inter-key delay:  NA
  seq. modifiers:   NA
  variant:          Flirc
  builtin profiles: NA
  Memory Info:      NA

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash       ID   key
-----  --------   --   ---
    0  D90898D4   01   up
    1  2F05736D   01   left
    2  417CC92D   01   right
    3  A7684222   01   down
    4  AC6A8486   01   enter
    5  01DE8DAD   04   right_shift !
    6  A76299ED   01    !
    7  C417B814   04   right_cmd !
    8  E17552E2   02   left_ctrl+left_alt+left_cmd+right_alt+right_cmd !
    9  CEFDFD22   02   left_ctrl+left_shift+right_ctrl+right_shift+right_cmd !
   10  4C630E3B   02   left_alt+right_ctrl+right_shift+right_cmd !

What kind of remote is it? Does it have a universal remote capability in addition to being a dedicated TV remote? How did you set it up?

If it doesn't have a universal remote capability then are you trying to use your TV's remote to control your Flirc/FireTV?

It's exactly like this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDMAW10/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can program certain things on it.

Yes, I would like to use this remote to control my Fire TV. I can do some basics over HDMI CEC but not really enough, so I bought Flirc.

Btw, to make sure CEC wasn't interfering, I disabled it. Still no dice.

To be sure that the CEC is really disabled, can you connect your Android box to some other TV or monitor and still try with the same remote? It's suspicious to me that by covering the remote it worked ok. Maybe this is also na RF remote and TV is getting the RF commands.

As for the remote itself, did you program your remote to control some other device and then paired that to the Flirc?

10 minutes ago, yawor said:

To be sure that the CEC is really disabled, can you connect your Android box to some other TV or monitor and still try with the same remote? It's suspicious to me that by covering the remote it worked ok. Maybe this is also na RF remote and TV is getting the RF commands.

As for the remote itself, did you program your remote to control some other device and then paired that to the Flirc?

Well, I know it is disabled because before disabling it, CEC works and I can control with the remote. After disabling, CEC no longer works and I can't control it with the remote *unless I plug in Flirc*. So, I'm 100% sure it's disabled. It's not a random Android box either...it's an official Fire TV (2nd gen). 

No, I haven't programmed the remote to control anything else.

Is there a way to put Flirc into debugging mode to see what it sees when it receives commands from the remote? I'm curious to see what Flirc registers and what it sends.

Thanks.

Ok, so what you need to do is to first configure another device on your remote. You can't just use it in TV mode because you control both devices at the same time - for example, when you switch to a different input on TV or open a menu on TV and press direction keys to control your TV, also your Android box will react to the presses and you probably don't want that.

Use your TV remote's functionality and set some device on one of the device buttons (I would probably go with DVD/VCR mode). Then use your remote in that mode to configure your Flirc. You can test different codes to find one that works best for you.

19 hours ago, yawor said:

You can't just use it in TV mode because you control both devices at the same time - for example, when you switch to a different input on TV or open a menu on TV and press direction keys to control your TV, also your Android box will react to the presses and you probably don't want that.

Hmm...but disabling HDMI CEC on both the TV and the FireTV should prevent the FireTV from responding to the TV remote (without Flirc), correct?

I experimented with this last night, but the results are inconclusive. What appears to be happening is that the remote continues to pass the same commands when you press the circular pad (for navigation) no matter what mode you're in. I'm not sure if this is tied to the manufacturer code I tried to use to program it or something else.

Two questions:

1. Would you please consider a debug mode for advanced users which would show two things each time a button is pressed: the code received by Flirc from the remote control, and the key sequence Flirc will send? (I think you can get the latter currently via the command line and "flirc_util settings"

2. If I decide the remote is the problem, what is a good universal remote you'd recommend for use with Flirc in the US? The Harmony remotes look nice but are very pricey.

Thank you. 

I wasn't referring to CEC in my previous post. It's about the remote and IR signals it sends. If you keep your remote in TV mode and use it to configure your Flirc, then both devices are getting the same signal no matter what input you set on your TV and both devices will react to it. That's why I've written above that you should setup another device on your remote for use with Flirc so there's no signal collision/overlap between TV and Flirc.

1. I'm not the one to ask for such features. I'm helping on the forum. It's @jason you need to ask.

2. I'm not in the US but I can recommend a "sister" remote to the one I'm using. Try looking for OARUSB04G. I'm using it's European version which is URC-6440. It's a nice remote which lays well in the hand. It's equipped with a microUSB connector for configuration on PC. There's also a community forum focused on remotes from the manufacturer of these remotes and the community maintained opensource software called RemoteMaster, which allows you to configure the remote beyond any other I know. You can also install a modified firmware (it's very easy and fully reversible) which upgrades this remote from 4-devices, 2-activities to 12-devices, 6-activities, adds a shift button (it's on the List button) and shifted and double shifted buttons, long press and double press macros and some other features I don't remember right now.

BTW, just to be 100% sure about CEC, if you unplug Flirc from the FireTV, do you loose all control or do you still can control the device?

24 minutes ago, yawor said:

I wasn't referring to CEC in my previous post. It's about the remote and IR signals it sends. If you keep your remote in TV mode and use it to configure your Flirc, then both devices are getting the same signal no matter what input you set on your TV and both devices will react to it. That's why I've written above that you should setup another device on your remote for use with Flirc so there's no signal collision/overlap between TV and Flirc.

Right, I understand what you're saying. However, if both the Flirc and the TV receive it, it still shouldn't cause dual clicks on the FireTV *unless CEC is enabled*. The only way the FireTV should respond to clicks is via CEC or the Flirc.

As to your second question, yes....if I disable CEC, and I still see dual key presses. If I then remove Flirc, all control of the FireTV is gone... So, in this case, I can verify that CEC is indeed disabled.

@jason, before I return my Flirc (I don't want to!) do you have any ideas?

Edited by J to the B

On 6/14/2017 at 9:52 AM, J to the B said:

Right, I understand what you're saying. However, if both the Flirc and the TV receive it, it still shouldn't cause dual clicks on the FireTV *unless CEC is enabled*. The only way the FireTV should respond to clicks is via CEC or the Flirc.

As to your second question, yes....if I disable CEC, and I still see dual key presses. If I then remove Flirc, all control of the FireTV is gone... So, in this case, I can verify that CEC is indeed disabled.

@jason, before I return my Flirc (I don't want to!) do you have any ideas?

came here to check to see if you followed up, I see you put your remote above. I'll get one and check it out.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:17 AM, J to the B said:

Great, thanks Jason. I really appreciate your willingness to troubleshoot and go the extra mile. I hope others recognize the effort you're going to to make Flirc a success.

I figured it out. Very strange, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to fix this in the long run. Send me your configuration, I'll alter it so it works as it should.