Flirc Forums

Harmony 650+flirc+openelec some buttons don't exist?

leaderdog

I just bought a flirc, so far, I like it except for the few frustration issues I'm running into. I followed the zendesk support and I still am having issues.

1) page up and page down are the same button in flirc full keyboard.  In the harmony software I remapped the buttons as it shows, but after I sync it, and then run the flirc software --- ok after many many tries. it for some reason worked this time.  aaaaaaaaand now it doesn't work again. tried in both usb 3 and 2.  can't seem to get it to work again.

2) the "menu" button on the 650 harmony remote doesn't exist in flirc keyboard.  I push C (For context menu to map) press the "menu" button on the remote and nothing happens.  It just sits there saying press button to pair.  again I remapped this in the harmony software and synced it. by default it in harmony the menu button isn't used.

I'm so confused now that I can't recall the other issues.

Also, for the love of all things holy get rid of recaptcha.  I hope we don't have to use that every time we log in like some sites.  I'm either a robot and don't know it, or that thing is as much bs as can be create by some morons at google.  Takes me forever to get through it.

anyways, sorry for that, but any help would be appreciated. ;)

Hi,

Could you provide more information about your settings? Flirc is very flexible and allows a lot of different setups and without specifics there's no way to help you.

1. Which model of Flirc do you have? The new metal one? The older plastic one? Also version of the firmware would be great.
  2. Which profile are you selecting on your Harmony remote? One of the Flirc/* ones? Or something else?
  3. Which keyboard layout are you using in the OpenELEC?

Hi yawor,

1) Flirc is the new metal one, and it did a firmware upgrade when first plugging it in.

Flirc GUI version 2.3.6+

based on Qt 4.8.0

2) Harmony I used Flirc -> Kodi

3) Keyboard layout us.  nothing for variants and keyboard type is pc105

Thanks for any help your can provide :)

I'm not familiar with the issue with page up/down buttons. I don't have Harmony so I can't check it myself.

As for the menu button, probably the Harmony profile for Flirc doesn't have it mapped in its layout (again, I don't have Harmony, so I'm not sure). This means that the Harmony doesn't send anything when pressing the button. From what I know, you can create an activity with Flirc/Kodi profile and then add some different device profile and modify the remote's layout when the activity is selected to include extra buttons. That way you can make the missing buttons active and then use Flirc GUI to assign them to functions you want (like the C for the context menu).

On the other hand, since version 16.1 Kodi supports long button press actions. Starting with that version, if the keyboard layout hasn't been changed in OpenELEC, you should be able to invoke context menu by long pressing OK button.

ok, well thanks for trying.

In the flirc full keyboard when I push up it lights up the up arrow green.  When I push the page up button it lights up the up arrow green.  some how they're bound together in the flirc software.  Same goes for the down arrow and page down.

As for altering the activity.  I did that in the harmony software, buttons.  I believe that's what you're referring to?  I followed the zen https://support.flirc.tv/hc/en-us page and did as it says, but it still failed.  I gave the menu button the ContextMenu command, and I gave ch + - buttons the page up and page down commands.  Synced and nothing.  Then tried remapping them and at one point it worked. but then it just decided it didn't want to do it any more.  When I checked in the flirc full keyboard, it was back to the above behaviour of being bound together.

I thought I'd just remap all the buttons in flirc.  So I cleared it all. then started with the up arrow and page up, but didn't matter, they were still linked together. So it would have been pointless to keep going with it.

If you have any other ideas, or if anyone else with experience with this remote and situation has anything to add.  I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

In my opinion, the built-in profiles are good for a quick start with basic functionality and that's it. I always recommend using non-Flirc Harmony profiles and just setting it up using either specific app controller (like Kodi) or just a full keyboard one in Flirc GUI.

My recommendation is to add an LG or Samsung TV device to Harmony (depending on what brand TV you have, select opposite one so they don't collide). These brands usually use NEC family IR protocols which work really good with Flirc. Also TV devices usually map all the physical buttons on the remote so you won't have to worry that some buttons don't work. Then you just need to open the Flirc GUI and assign keyboard shortcuts to the remote any way you want.

ok for those that want to know.  I think I finally got it set up correctly.

In Logitech MyHarmony Software:

1) I started a new profile (add a remote)

2) Add the device you need (set top box) (Tv) (AV Receiver) (Flirc Media Player = Flirc - Kodi)

3) Activities, set it up how you need it to work with your equipment for me it was Watch TV and Custom - HTPC

4) Activities - Customize this Activity - Flirc Power On should already be there, but it won't turn on the pc from standby.

4a) Add step.  Device - Flirc Media Player, Action - Command, Value - Back (you can use anything, it's just triggering a key stroke to start the pc) save

5) Devices - Change Device Settings - Power Settings - I want to turn off this device when not in use - I press the same button for on and for off -

5a) Add command - PowerOff

5b) Add command - Select

5c) when in openelec select the power off button and move down to Suspend.  Openelec seems to keep it on that setting.  So when All off is initiated it will send the poweroff command bringing up the menu then selects Suspend to put your pc to sleep.  It also works when you select Watch TV, pc goes to sleep.

6) Buttons - Customize Activity Buttons.  I chose watch tv and Watch Movies (set as my HTPC)

7) Remote Buttons - Choose activities - HTPC

8a) Device - Flirc Media Player

8b) I dragged page up and page down to the ch + - that I wanted.  (Menu button still won't work even trying to adjust it in Flirc)

9) Sync

10) I ended up adding the context menu to the red button in the flirc software.

Openelec seems to be working fairly smoothly now.  I hope this all makes sense and can be of some use to others that are easily confused like me ;)

Edited by leaderdog

• 3 weeks later...
On 6. 5. 2017 at 11:35 PM, leaderdog said:

ok for those that want to know.  I think I finally got it set up correctly.

In Logitech MyHarmony Software:

1) I started a new profile (add a remote)

2) Add the device you need (set top box) (Tv) (AV Receiver) (Flirc Media Player = Flirc - Kodi)

3) Activities, set it up how you need it to work with your equipment for me it was Watch TV and Custom - HTPC

4) Activities - Customize this Activity - Flirc Power On should already be there, but it won't turn on the pc from standby.

4a) Add step.  Device - Flirc Media Player, Action - Command, Value - Back (you can use anything, it's just triggering a key stroke to start the pc) save

5) Devices - Change Device Settings - Power Settings - I want to turn off this device when not in use - I press the same button for on and for off -

5a) Add command - PowerOff

5b) Add command - Select

Which Harmony Remote do you have? I have the 350 and the only thing I can do in relation to setting up an activity is to select which devices are powered on. No adding of steps, or customization of the activity is possible. This is all I get. Any ideas?

ScreenShot001.jpg

I have the 650.

your software looks different than mine.  Perhaps you don't have the latest version? I have 1.0.1.257.  on a Windows PC.

if you haven't already perhaps uninstall and install the latest version.  https://setup.myharmony.com/#200-series

If that's not the problem.  Then unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to help.

good luck. :)

Activities.jpg

I just checked on the logitech site for release notes on updates.

2014 Oct 27.

MyHarmony.com and MyHarmony Desktop Software

• Harmony 600, 650, and 700 users will now be able to customize
  • Activity buttons
  • Glow Time
  • Tilt Sensor

I searched for 350, but while the updates apply to your model, these added functions may not have been implemented for your remote.  At which point I think you might be out of luck sadly.

Edited by leaderdog