Flirc Forums

Not sure what I'm doing wrong (confused)

bronsonelliott

I just received my FLIRC and I'm wanting to set it up to control my Amazon Fire TV box.  I plugged the FLIRC into my computer and did the firmware update as was suggested and downloaded the software from the FLIRC site.  I selected the Amazon Fire controller option and went through the mapping wizard on my remote.  It accepted all of my selections.  I then plugged the FLIRC into the back of my Amazon Fire box and attempted to use  the remote and nothing worked.  At least consistently.  I could *occasionally* get it to arrow down but that's it.  It wouldn't arrow up/left/right at all and only went down a couple of time.  No other mappings work (Home, Select, etc).

I have attached a picture of my remote.  It's a Bose remote that came with my sound bar.  Along  the top there are 5 device options to control (TV, CBL/SAT, DVD, VCR, AUX).  I chose the CBL/SAT option when I was mapping the buttons.  

I'm not really sure what to do to try and fix this.  The remote works just fine on the TV option and the batteries are fresh.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm very anxious to get this to work as the Amazon Fire remote is driving me nuts and chews through batteries at a record pace.

Thanks!

IMG_20170330_153058.jpg

Hi,

This remote looks like an universal remote. This means that you should be able to enter a setup code for each device button (TV, CBL etc). Probably the device setup code you've entered (or it already has been set up with some code) is not being compatible with Flirc. Do you have a code book for that remote? If yes, then select some other code for CBL/SAT and set the remote to it. Then clear Flirc configuration and test if it works better. You don't need to record all the buttons you need right away. Just record 2-4 keys (the direction keys for example) and then press the buttons and check if correct buttons are being highlighted in the Flirc GUI (or open some program on the computer which you can control with arrow keys and check if the remote works).

I would also change the CBL/SAT to other type of device. Cable/Sat boxes may use some proprietary/custom protocols which may not work well with Flirc.

Can you post the exact model of the remote?

That's probably the issue.  I didn't enter any kind of device code prior to performing the setup.  I just plugged in the FLIRC into my computer and started the setup process on my remote. 

I don't have the device code book for the remote, but I did find it online.  Although I'm not really sure where to start with this since there isn't a code for an Amazon Fire TV or a FLIRC device.  I'll search the forum for codes others have used that might help me.

Thanks!

OK, I have made progress.  I tried a few device codes with no luck at all.  I read elsewhere on the forums to try a Samsung TV code.  I tried it and it worked!!  I actually have a Samsung TV but all of the buttons I programmed (except one) don't interfere with the TV functionality.  For the one button that does interfere, I'll just remap to a different key and try again.

Thanks for the help!

You can also use LG TV codes for example. Then you won't need to worry about the keys interfering with your TV.

As for the codes for Flirc or Fire TV, don't even bother looking for them for your remote :). You won't find them. Only Harmony remotes have profiles prepared for Flirc. But as you already know, you don't really need that.