Flirc Forums

View learned IR Code (eg Pronto format)

Amnesiac

Hi,

would it be possible for the FLIRC app to show a text based representation of the IR code that has been learned? Key by Key - perhaps in an "advanced" option (I appreciate the aims of the simple GUI approach).

There is a huge library of codes and code tools on Remote Central in Phillips Pronto format and I know other products have adopted that format. I think there are even tools that program other remotes using that format on Remote Central.

That way we could edit the IR codes the FLIRC responds to without needing the remote handy, and if we have programmable remotes we could cut and paste the EXACT IR code between FLIRC and the remote.

• Like 1

Hey Amnesiac -

I actually don't use the traditional method, so unfortunately any database we build in the flirc community wont be consistent with anyone else's.

That's not because I wanted to be proprietary, and a jerk, it's because I came up with a way to ignore protocols and compress the long datastream. Which is also why you can store buttons on the device, and it doesn't require a large memory chip.

Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, no. I may figure out a way to store the uncompressed versions somewhere, but think of my method right now as a one way compression. It wasn't done to protect anything, just merely a way to get the data and store it on the device's 'eeprom' which you are actually dumping when you save and load your configuration. I will have something to make that file human readable in a future release.

• 2 years later...

Has that future release happened?  I bought this on amazon expecting it to work with lirc so I could get the raw ir data.  

There is no such function right now neither in the Flirc's firmware nor the software. There may be something in the future (to make debugging problems some people are having with their remotes/setups) but I don't know what priority it has (only Jason knows this). It's even possible that this won't ever be in a public release, but some special debug firmware version.

What do you need the raw IR signal anyway? Do you want to feed it to some IR blaster or create Pronto codes? I think there are better devices for achieving this as Flirc is very specific device for creating working IR control setup very fast without the need of any runtime software on the host, as it acts as a keyboard in the OS. For example my remote (OFA URC-6440) has IR receiver built-in as it has a learning function. I can learn a signal from other remote and then download config to RemoteMaster software which is able to decode learned signal - you get what protocol is used and what payload is sent. This data can be used to recreate original IR signal (for example to use it in IR blaster or send by the remote itself).

• Like 1