Flirc Forums

Controlling multiple firesticks with one remote

Thegizmogeeks

Good Evening! 

We are having a bit of an issue here that hopefully this product can help. We have software that needs to be manually installed in each firestick. The only problem is we have to use several different remotes on several different monitors and TVs. We are looking for a solution where we are able to control multiple fire sticks with one remote and essentially only have one connected to a monitor. The rest would be simply connected to power. We are simply looking for ways to improve our process. Please let me know if you have any questions I've done my best of my abilities to explain this clearly. 

Thank you. 

Sincerely,
The Gizmo Geeks Team 

Correct me if I understand this incorrectly.

You want to use Flirc to automate your process of installing your software by connecting multiple Flircs with exactly the same configuration to multiple firesticks and do the same action on all of them at the same time by controlling them from a single remote.

If above is correct, then I think it's possible to do that. But there are some things you need to be sure for this to work:

1. You need to be able to connect Flirc to firestick. As it doesn't have an USB type A port you need an OTG Y cable for each of your sticks. You also need the ADB USB debugging to be turned off (turning it on disabled the USB host functionality in firestick). This may be a problem if you need ADB to be enabled for some reason (I don't know if firestick has USB debugging turned on or off by default).
  2. You need to be sure, that every firestick is at exactly the same state after powering on (the same menu item should be selected) or some way to synchronise them. I don't know firetv/firestick at all, but maybe there's some key you can send that always selects first menu position or something like that. This would allow you to sync all devices before starting your installation procedure.
  3. Flirc is generally a very sensitive IR receiver (I have mine behind the TV without the direct line of sight and it still works 100%) so it shouldn't be any problem, but for a setup like that you would probably want every Flirc to be equally exposed to the IR signal from the remote to be sure that every key press is properly received.

In the end, it's up to you to test all of this as I'm not aware of anyone using Flirc in that way :).