Flirc Forums

newbie, baby steps

lumpynose

I'm setting up a Kodi/xmbc box, using a raspberry pi3.  I installed OSMC on the pi.  I "installed" flirc by copying the supplied config file into where it said in /etc.  The flirc seems to do the minimum stuff with kodi; the up, down, left, right, enter, and exit buttons work.

OSMC uses a stripped down minimal flavor of linux so I'm guessing it doesn't have x windows.  The user guide, "How to set up Flirc", confused me since I don't have any way to run the setup program on my pi.

But it finally occurred to me that perhaps I can program the flirc by plugging it into my windows box and run the flirc setup program there and that all of the programming of the flirc is stored on the flirc?

Is that true?

In any event the web site and instructions are lacking. If it's true that I can use my windows box to program it they ought to explain this part and how you can use another computer to do the programming.

Edited by lumpynose

The other thing you could add to the setup instructions for people like me with OSMC, OpenELEC, or other minimal linux systems is give them some hints about using ssh and sftp to get the config file on their raspberry.  I wonder how non computer geeks figure out how to do any of this stuff.  I happen to know because before I retired I was a unix sysadmin, but it's amazing how much I've forgotten.

@lumpynose why do you want to transfer (doesn't matter over which protocol) config file for Flirc to Raspberry (or any other computer for that matter)? The configuration is saved on the Flirc unit itself. If someone is not tech savvy and has never used linux/unix shell then there's really no better way of programming Flirc than do this on a PC using GUI and then just plug the unit to the target system. No need to transfer anything anywhere.

Also every media center OS for RPi requires a little different approach as the base OS is different and can have different file system structure. And RPi is not the only board out there so there would need to be an instructions for different combinations of the boards and OSes. I think it's a good idea, but requires a lot of work. Also there's really need for making a proper manual.