Flirc Forums

Compatibility and Setup

THRobinson

Hello...

For a while now I've run my media server PC using an external HP Receiver, and has worked great, except the old board and external USB device mean I couldn't turn on my HTPC with my remote.

Someone in the KODI forum recommended this, so just starting to gather info.

I am looking at an ASRock H110M-ITX board, their support tech said that "Board has USB power (supply 5v) whiel system is off, this function is for charging USB decvices" but also said that they had no idea if it works with a device like this and to contact the manufacturer.

Anyone know if the Flirc Streacom will run on this board, in terms of being able to power it on with a Sony RM-VZ320 remote?

Also, how do you program the board to know which button is the power on button when pressed? I'm using EventGhost now, when in KODI I have the Power button linked to the Shutdown PC function which will close KODI and shut down the system, but only works once Win7 loads, EventGhost loads and eventually KODI loads. With everything shut down and off, I have no idea how the FLIRC knows what to do.

Thanks

It should work. You can confirm if you have USB port powered by disconnecting the device from power, then plug something that draw power from USB (like a phone) and connect the power. The device should indicate that it draws the power from USB. But you actually connect the Flirc SE to the internal USB port pin header. You need to make sure that these ports are also powered (there's a small risk that only external ports are powered when shut down, but I think the internal should also be powered).

To record the power button you need to use command line utility flirc_util (it's installed together with Flirc GUI) by calling

flirc_util.exe record power

and then pressing the button you want. But you need to remember, that this button can't be assigned to anything else. It'll always "push" the motherboard power button, so when the system is started it will shutdown or go to sleep (depending on the system settings) when you press the button again.

There's always a way to overcome the lack of power in the USB port, but requires some electrical skills and you would need to do it on your own risk.

One of the wires in ATX motherboard power connector (marked 5VSB, 5 V standby) is always powered if the PSU is plugged into the mains. Flirc can be powered from that line. To do that, you would need to cut 5v wire (only this one) from the ribbon cable connecting Flirc to the USB port and then wire it to the ATX 5VSB line.

I guess I have 2 questions...

1 - for the motherboard, even if it has power to the USB port, does that mean it can power on with the flirc? Is there a name for that function I should be looking for in the specs? If I can make my old board work, that would be great, but no idea what that feature would be called.

2 - for the power... instead of voiding the warranty on the power supply, is there another option, like buying a cheap molex connector for $0.50 off eBay, connecting that to the PSU and using one of the wires on the adapter? Maybe some sort of male/female 3" extension dongle?

Again, if can use the board I have and not void the warranty on the power supply I bought just a few days ago, all I'd need is a new case which would be the ideal solution. 

Thanks

First of all, the above solution is the last resort when the USB port doesn't provide 5 volts by itself in the shut down mode. I've just mentioned that this can be done. It certainly shouldn't if not needed. As for the "adaptor", there are ATX 24-pin extension cables.

Regarding the power on function, the Flirc SE does its "magic" by acting as a physical power button. You need to disconnect your case's power button from the motherboard, then you connect Flirc SE to the power button pins on the motherboard by using included cable. After that you connect case's power button to the Flirc, so it still works.