Flirc Forums

[XBMCbuntu] Logitech Harmony 700 Device/Activity Profile

Chavez

I'm curious to know if anybody running XBMCbuntu (or any other Linux setup) has successfully programmed a Logitech Harmony remote for full functionality.

I installed the Flirc GUI within XBMCbuntu, which seemed to record the basic functionality. I had to use the terminal command line to record advanced keystrokes.

Within XBMC, however, I get almost no real functionality. Only the directional buttons "work," and that is occasional and usually scrolls in whatever direction it chooses, regardless of the actual input.

I think the problem may be in the device or activity setup within the Logitech Harmony software. Obviously, neither XBMC nor Flirc have profiles within the software, but some users running Linux XBMC builds have reported success in the past. Unfortunately, I've never been able to replicate.

The device profiles I've tried include DVD Player, MCE Keyboard and a Panasonic/Samsung TV as suggested by a user in another thread. No joy, but it could be that I'm setting up the activity improperly or customizing the buttons differently... haven't found any advice on those fronts.

Any suggestions on what device profile should be used, how the activity should be setup, or how the buttons should be customized? Really looking for help here, I'm on my last nerve finding a working solution.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chavez, welcome to the forums,

Don't worry we'll get Flirc working for you.

Possibly the easiest thing to do would be to test if it is your XBMCbuntu machine or flirc. Try plugging flirc into another machine and see if the same behavior is observed.

One of the other moderators - Digitalb0y - wrote a guide on techinical Flirc stuff in XBMCbuntu so I assume it's working fine for him ().

Please post back what happens,

pleasant regards,

Chris!

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I really don't think it's my rig, simply because programming Flirc using a generic Media Center remote works fine. Doing so, however, somewhat defeats the purpose of my Harmony remote - to have one remote.

I saw Digitalb0y's thread previously; I used it as a guide for programming Flirc from the command line in the Linux terminal. My issues on that front are limited... namely that the numbered buttons seem to confuse the recording actions, resulting in overlapping and conflicting signals among them. This is not a huge concern for me, as I have yet to need a numbered keypad within XBMC.

With the remote recording properly from the command line, the issue for me is getting those commands/keystrokes to be recognized and executed properly within the XBMC environment. Again, I believe this is related to the Harmony remote setup. Since there is no "XBMC" or "Flirc" device listed in the software's database, I have to create a custom device and assign button actions manually. Furthermore, each "activity" set up in the Harmony software.

For example:

1) I set up Flirc as a device in the Harmony software using a generic "DVD player" config.

2) Using the remote to control this generic "DVD player," I assign keystrokes to the remote buttons using Flirc's command line.

3) Within the Harmony software, I create an activity which, when started, turns on my TV, sets it to the proper HDMI input and selects the "DVD player" (Flirc)

4) Within the activity settings, each button on the remote is set to control either the TV or Flirc; i.e., volume controls the TV, where "Info" sends the keystroke "I" to Flirc (as was recorded successfully in the command line).

Since Flirc is obviously working with other remotes, I think it's just a matter of setting up the remote properly to handle Flirc.

Thanks again for any advice.

Okay, I got it working. This is something I've tried multiple times before with other IR receivers, but this is the first time it's been 100% successful... so kudos to you guys for Flirc. it seems to be the missing piece to my puzzle. :)

1) Using my generic Media Center remote, I recorded keystrokes using the terminal command line. (I picked the most useful from this list: http://wiki.xbmc.org...?title=Keyboard ).

**Because I'm using a generic MCE remote, I had to record each keystroke twice in the command line to avoid pressing each button twice in XBMC, per this thread:

2) In the Harmony software, I created a device, "Flirc," based on a generic Microsoft MCE Remote (Computer > Media Center PC > Microsoft > MCE Remote).

3) In the device settings, I created a list of custom IR commands (at the bottom of the page); I simply named them after the keystroke they emulate (X, P, Spacebar, etc.). The only default IR commands I used were the directional commands.

4) Using the Harmony remote, I learned this set of custom IR commands from the MCE remote.

5) In the device settings, I customized the Harmony remote buttons by assigning them to the newly-learned, custom IR commands (Menu = M, Pause = Spacebar, etc.).

6) In the Harmony software, I created an activity to turn on my TV, set it to the correct input, and select my Flirc device.

7) In the activity settings, I once again customized my Harmony remote buttons appropriately, assigning most to the Flirc IR commands, and others, such as volume control, to the TV.

8) ????

9) Profit!!

I now have a 100% working Harmony remote with one-touch access to my XBMC setup. Well, almost one-touch... I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Harmony remote to turn on my HTPC or resume XBMC from sleep... but that's another headache for another day.

Hope this helps.