Flirc Forums

PS3 compatibility?

h4ldol

First off, I love FLIRC and think it's a great product.  Even more impressed to find out in this forum that this is apparently a one man operation.  I guess that explains why it is rather hard to find online (I bought one from Newegg and one from Amazon). 

I already have 2 of the old plastic flircs that work perfectly with my Harmony remotes (Ultimate and One) with my two Fire TVs and I can finally control the Fire TVs with just my Harmony remotes.  Thank you!

I searched the forum and found nothing about PS3 compatibility and so I wanted to see if it is supported or not.  I have been using a Nyco Blu-wave IR USB dongle for the past 10 years and it works fine but is a bit long and of course it does not turn the machine on/off nor supports the "PS" button.

Does the plastic or new metal FLIRC dongles support the PS3 (that is, ability to use it by just adding the FLIRC device and not using the software to "program" all the buttons)?  I saw a XBOX 360 logo in supported devices but sadly no PS3.  I'm hoping it will at least offer the same functionality as my old Nyco dongle, but of course it would be great if it could map the PS button as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling with this. First of all, the instructions you linked to said to "use the keyboard controller." If we're entering the PS Button command there, wouldn't we then need a Harmony profile for the keyboard controller? I tried entering "FLIRC" as the manufacturer and "Full Keyboard" in the device model under the Harmony program, but it didn't recognize that. So I'm not sure how that would work.

Second, the instructions for creating the PS button are to use 

flirc_util record pause

To record Prt Sc/SysRq:

flirc_util record print_screen

In command line, but when I do that, I just get

[D] lib/libtransport/libusb.c libusb_dev_open(143): can't open usb device
[D] lib/libcmds/cmds.c run_cmd(275): could not find command 'flirc_util'

It's really frustrating, because the whole reason I bought a FLIRC was because it was advertised as being compatible with PS3. I can navigate the menus to a limited degree but there's was X/square/triangle/circle buttons, and while that's not a huge deal, not have the PS button is a big problem. Can't turn it on, can't turn it off, can't exit an app. Not what I envisioned when I saw "Playstation 3 compatible."

Edited by WraithTDK

• 4 months later...

Was hoping to make a bit of progress today, but I've been going a bit nuts with another bug. I think I finally got it, so pushing that in a few minutes.

I think I'll rename the controller to Playstation, it should work for both, and I'll definitely test on both. I'll post an update here hopefully tomorrow. This week for sure.

So here is where I'm at. Currently the software now works, but various apps do not work. Amazon, etc. The arrow keys don't work in those apps.

After a lot of reading, it looks like I'm going to need to emulate a PS4 controller. I tried to emulate a regular game controller, but it wasn't happy. I'll continue to try tomorrow before going down that route. Fuck.

Tried  some stuff for the PS3 using the PS4 controller in the Flirc software but no luck.  Won't turn the PS3 on.  Even trying to link the PS Button to turn on wouldn't work.  Guess I will need to wait until you work more with the PS3 remote.

I hired some additional help. Just completely overwhelmed with work right now and need some additional help with this specifically because a lot of time is needed.

So the report descriptor from the controller was copied, and packets that abide by the controller schema were sent, and the PS3/PS4 did not respond to them. What I'm suspecting is a security aspect that we might be missing.
Why the fuck did these idiots do this? To make sure people by PS3/PS4 controllers? Un-fucking real. 

We'll figure it out. Just need some time. If it's security, we'll just copy what other's did to bypass it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to check in and see if there was any progress on this.

Before using the Flirc and a non-commercial remote (using an Elan G! controller and their custom remotes) I had been using the Harmony One and the Harmony PS3 adapter. All streaming apps worked fine in that configuration (Netflix/HBO/Amazon). Do you think the commands are different within apps? I know the Harmony PS3 adapter converted IR to Bluetooth signals, but just wondering if there was something else going on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

he guy I hired dropped off the map, I'm very upset with him. His progress was great, I just need him to give me his work.... I'm really sorry, I've been trying to get a hold of him for a while so I don't have to replicate everything he's done.

• 5 weeks later...