Flirc Forums

Flirc case and pi3 question

minedune

Has the flirc case been updated for pi3 meaning the LED placement or is it the same?

Using my case from pi2 atm and its fine just noticed the LED not same as pi2

I was going to grab case from amazon but if its been updated ill get from this site....TIA

Edited by minedune

• 8 months later...

on this case revision note ...

I saw on a pi case review that the heat sink was molded to the location of the RPI 1 chip location (RPI 2 and 3 are apparently shifted towards the power led end by a couple mm). The case on the site currently says it's built around RPI 2 dimensions (evident by the yellow Av input hole being gone ... No port openings on the io side of the case).

Was the heat sink location adjusted? Have there been any revs to this design at all?

Also on the note of the LEDs ... I don't have one in hand yet to check ... But the plastic bottom seems to be what blocks them, and is notched on the left a bit to reveal them. Some careful dremmel work on the opposing plastic corner should do the trick, no?  Or are they too far over? It would be a cut mostly hidden anyways?

I had an idea to use thick gauge fishing line leaders as fiber optic runs to those leds using a little super glue so they can be redirected a bit (dip them in black acrylic paint or something before cutting to prevent bleed over). That may all be going overboard though. But style was a huge selling point on this case for me, so its worth it to me to put a little extra in it.

if anyone cares ... I'll post a pic of the final outcome when I'm through.

I know there are other posts concerning this ... But they are a bit older (up to a year even). Just looking to see if anything has changed since then.

Edited by DirtyRob

The case was built around RPi 1 model B+, which has identical dimensions and ports' types and location as RPi 2 and 3. The heatsink pole is still positioned for RPi 1, but it's not an issue for RPi 2 and 3 at all. I've been running RPi 2 in the case for a long time with OSMC/Kodi without any thermal issues and I've recently upgraded my setup to RPi 3 and there're still no issues. The heat conductive pad added to the case works well.