Flirc Forums

Button to toggle flirc?

Gallantchicken

I want to designate one button in my remote to toggle flirc. When I press it, flirc becomes active and when I press it again it stops interpreting keys until I hit it again. Is this possible? The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to use my TV remote to work with flirc and the media buttons work on other apps on my TV. So If I'm watching youtube on TV, I don't want my htpc (flirc) to interpret the media buttons.

No, not with the Flirc alone. You would need to use some kind of software which would capture key presses and either execute actions or not depending on the current state. You would need to assign some key to execute state change.

You should also take into consideration the fact, that the keys will still be received and interpreted by the TV, so you probably only have a few buttons that are really usable (do nothing) in HDMI input mode.

No, not with the Flirc alone. You would need to use some kind of software which would capture key presses and either execute actions or not depending on the current state. You would need to assign some key to execute state change.

Do you know what that some kind of software would be? :)

You should also take into consideration the fact, that the keys will still be received and interpreted by the TV, so you probably only have a few buttons that are really usable (do nothing) in HDMI input mode.

Yes - I do have a couple of keys which don't do anything. I have set up one such key to sleep/wake up the HTPC. I want another key to toggle so that I can use the one TV remote for everything.

In an earlier setup I had done something similar in LIRC. I had made use of irexec to interpret each most key presses. Irexec was in turn toggled by the "toggle" key. Appreciate any pointers you may have on how I can do this with FLIRC!