Flirc Forums

Ubuntu 14.04 Issue

Mo

Hello all,

First, I only ask questions when I am truly stumped (I do IT for a living, so its a pride thing)... with that in mind... I am stumped.

Flirc installed and working, FW 1.3.6, App 3.6 64 bit,  Ubuntu 64 bit, 14.04.

Remote: Harmony 300

I've programmed it, the virtual keyboard responds to all my remote presses customized for Plex.  The virtual keyboard is fast.  If I press a button on the remote, it's displaying, no delay or lag.

Go into Kodi or Plex... sloooooooow.  About a second, second and a half between responses.  It also now seems to forget some keys like pause (space) or play (P).  Only the arrow keys, OK and stop / exit work.

I ran a "top" while doing so from ssh.  Plex is running about 50% cpu (I didnt check with Kodi).

Ideas welcome.  I don't think the remote is at fault (there are many "my harmony 300 is slow") posts, because the virtual keyboard is snappy.  It's only when I get into the media center application that is gets slow... and forgets its programming.  I have left Flirc open while in the media center and it is the same issue.

Ideas?

Interestingly, perhaps this has something to do with it.

I have remote desktop enabled so I can connect through VNC.  I noticed that when I try to control the box with VNC the app keeps trying to connect to the FLIRC and then immediately disconnects.  Perhaps some kind of resource issue?

Yeah that's what I figured.... 

Does it just show up as a good ol HID?  Is there any running Flirc processes (that I can monitor)?

My linux-fu for drivers is not up to speed.  modprobe and I have never really been friends.  I'm assuming based on lsusb that yours is the "Clay Logic" ID 20a0:001?  I'm remoted in and that is all I see except an Intel device and a Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub.

It is weird though when VNC'ing in, aka "Remote Desktop" or whatever Ubuntu calls it, while connected the Flirc configuration tool just connects/disconnects repeatedly at the Desktop.  Once I quit my VNC session, Flirc config sees the dongle.

50% is a lot, I agree.  To be fair though, it's an Intel Compute Stick running an Atom (quad core evidently).  The bluetooth keyboard though has no lag issues.  Tried a normal usb keyboard as well, no lag issues.  Kodi acts the same.  Considering Plex Home Theatre IS XBMC on the backend, any delays for one I would expect to see with the other.

Edited by Mo

Interesting... Disabling Ubuntu 14.04 "Desktop Sharing" did in fact speed up Plex remote response.... a little bit.    Under a second now per press in Plex (still instantaneous in the Flirc virtual keyboard)...  not great... but getting there.