Flirc Forums

Using FLIRC SE for power on/off in custom PC build

whampel

I just got my FLIRC SE in the mail. I am going to wire this internally for a custom HTPC build. I want to use the SW1 and SW2 on the SE (like the Streacom case) to activate the sleep and wake function normally handled by the "power" switch on a PC. The question: the FLIRC UI does not show the Streacom remote buttons. Do any of the other keyboard buttons work the SW1 and/or SW2 power function on the FLIRC SE? I will map this to my Harmony One remote.

Thanks for any help..

There are no separate SW1 and SW2 buttons. One of them is an input where you plug the hardware power button from the case and the other one should be connected to the motherboard in place of the hardware button.

To program SE power button you need to use flirc_util command line utility (in the same dir where the Flirc GUI is installed). Use

flirc_util record power

and then press the remote button. You may need full flirc_util.exe in the command line if you're doing this on Windows (omitting .exe might fail without any notice or error).

Thanks again Yawor for the quick response. Here's what I've done:

I connected wiring as you stated - power connector from front panel switch to SW2 on SE, + to +. Connected supplied 2 pin cable from MB front panel power switch header to SW1 on SE. Ran C:\program files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe record power. Got the window stating to aim and press button on remote to record power which I have tried various ways. Get a VERY short error message, it looked like but so fast I could not read it. Also tried without the .exe. Used the Yellow button from my OPPO Blu Ray player for testing. The power command does not operate. Not an expert in windows - am I doing this correctly?

Thank you very much for your willingness to help.

Wayne

Edited by whampel

More info: I used cmd instead of run this time. The error message received was caused by the yellow button already being used. Used a different button and it was accepted but still nothing. I tried the power command while in Kodi and also while in Windows 7 home screen. The power switch on the front panel works fine with the SE in the loop. Is it possible the output from the SE (SW1, SW2) is defective?

I tried tSW1 and SW2 also and still nothing. Also tried just the motherboard header to SW1 and then SW2 without the front panel switch connected (while the PC was running) - would not shut it down..  Really beginning to think the SE is defective. The rest of the SE works perfectly

Edited by whampel

• 2 weeks later...

Yawor and others interested in this issue: My FLIRC SE is now working, powering on and off from my Harmony One.. The problem was an old version of firmware in the SE. I found another post from 2/14 describing the exact same problem. Updating the firmware solved his problem...and mine.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a similar issue with my Flirc SE. Everything works fine, except the SE power button. SW2 connected to mobo, SW1 to the button (I also tried every other combination and orientation possible just to be sure).

I have used the command line util to record power, and the command line settings output:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc>flirc_util.exe settings
Warning: cannot open USB deviceflirc_util version v1.3.6 [v1.3.6+]
  Firmware: v3.6 [0D58725B]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  Enabled
  noise canceler:   Disabled
  inter-key delay:  3
  seq. modifiers:   Enabled
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Enable

Memory Info:
  keys recorded:  4
  keys remaining: 165
  memory used:    2%

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash        key
-----  ---------   ---
    0  5BF0BB99    e
    1  F0328421    escape
    2  F8D231ED    b
    3  B07818C0    power

Note the warning "cannot open USB device", but everything else works fine. The GUI doesn't show this warning, using Windows 10. Unfortunately I don't have a previous windows system available to test with.

I measured the usb voltage in S5, which is 5 volt. But in this firmware 3.6 I've read the button should also work when the system is running, and it's not working here either. Passthrough of physical button is fine. Please help :)

Hi,

I have a similar issue with my Flirc SE. Everything works fine, except the SE power button. SW2 connected to mobo, SW1 to the button (I also tried every other combination and orientation possible just to be sure).

I have used the command line util to record power, and the command line settings output:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc>flirc_util.exe settings
Warning: cannot open USB deviceflirc_util version v1.3.6 [v1.3.6+]
  Firmware: v3.6 [0D58725B]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  Enabled
  noise canceler:   Disabled
  inter-key delay:  3
  seq. modifiers:   Enabled
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Enable

Memory Info:
  keys recorded:  4
  keys remaining: 165
  memory used:    2%

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash        key
-----  ---------   ---
    0  5BF0BB99    e
    1  F0328421    escape
    2  F8D231ED    b
    3  B07818C0    power

Note the warning "cannot open USB device", but everything else works fine. The GUI doesn't show this warning, using Windows 10. Unfortunately I don't have a previous windows system available to test with.

I measured the usb voltage in S5, which is 5 volt. But in this firmware 3.6 I've read the button should also work when the system is running, and it's not working here either. Passthrough of physical button is fine. Please help :)

I erased the power assignment, and relearned it via another remote (not the harmony that had the same button assigned), and now it works. According to the command line output the button hash is now 86EFADD5, and for some reason the harmony remote also works. Learning flirc via harmony is not reliable, so use another remote if possible to learn events.