Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

Hi. 

I have my Flirc and Harmony 350 nearly running perfect. Nearly... 

I'm looking for the correct Power-Toggle Button to send shield to sleep in every App. 

When i use Kodi-Remote, in TV Fullscreen shield rewinds 3 seconds(wtf), other Powerbuttons the kodi menu comes up. 

Other power brings shield to sleep but cannot wake up... 

So i hope someone can give me help? 

So far - Flirc is absolutely fantastic. I love it. Bought one for every Device i have :) 

Technically nothing; as it's based on Shield remote, there is no sleep/power button on the remote.

I should be clear, it's a Sleep toggle, not Power. It will put the Shield to Sleep.

You can use the remote to invoke the power options menu, by holding the Back button, but that can only be done on the home menu/lean back screen. Toddel wants to be able to to what that offers from any app, rather than having to go back to the Lean Back screen first

• 2 weeks later...

My Harmony 650 paired with the Flirc works almost perfectly with my Shield TV, except for one issue.  I paired the OK button on the remote with the Enter key on the full keyboard controller in the Flirc software, and it works correctly everywhere on the Shield TV save for one place.  When I press the button on the search keyboard, instead of selecting the character it's sitting on, it dismisses the keyboard entirely.  The directional keys navigate the search keyboard fine, but I have to use the enter button on the original Shield TV remote to select the characters.  I also tried pairing the Harmony 650 OK button with the Enter or Enter/Return key of every other preset controller in the Flirc software, but none of them work (they either dismiss the search keyboard entirely, or do nothing).

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a different key/key combination in one of the preset controllers of the Flirc software I should pair with the Harmony 650 OK button so that it works correctly everywhere on the Shield TV, including the search keyboard?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I am considering buying a Flirc and was wondering if the Shield controller/gamepad mapping had made it into the program yet (Jason had said in February it was being worked on).  An example of how I'd like to use this is that pressing X on the gamepad when using Playstation Vue directly launches the Guide without having to go through other menus.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. So just picked up a Shield TV and been working on the Flirc config today. Seems I have everything working except for the double press on the home button. I have it mapped to the "1" button of the ViewTV-At163. It works well at pulling up the Android menu, but pushing the button twice quickly in succession doesn't bring up the multitask menu like it does on the original remote. Any suggestions? Inter-key delay shows 3 in the advanced menu of the Flirc software. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Thanks!

20 hours ago, knewknow said:

hi guys. So just picked up a Shield TV and been working on the Flirc config today. Seems I have everything working except for the double press on the home button. I have it mapped to the "1" button of the ViewTV-At163. It works well at pulling up the Android menu, but pushing the button twice quickly in succession doesn't bring up the multitask menu like it does on the original remote. Any suggestions? Inter-key delay shows 3 in the advanced menu of the Flirc software. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Thanks!

I don't have an answer but was wondering if you were able to program the gamepad buttons (XYAB) on your remote with Flirc?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The correct buttons for SHIELD to match every button on the included 2017 remote for both short and long press, are all from the HID Consumer Usage table - and none are gamepad buttons.  Flirc's Shield profile doesn't use all these codes (only some) and can't use higher numbered ones with the current firmware, so it's impossible at the moment to mimic all the buttons properly.  Example: long-press of back button doesn't display power menu. Double-press home doesn't bring up task switcher.  Both because incorrect keyboard codes are being used instead of the correct consumer HID codes.  

Incidentally, the functionality of the MIC/Voice button on the 2017 remote can be duplicated with Consumer code 0x221

A number of keyboards, including some from Logitech and Microsoft feature keys that use these consumer codes - they work perfectly to match NVIDIA's remote buttons in every situation, regardless of app/context.

Edited by foto808

On 2/12/2017 at 8:52 AM, ixian said:

The basics of how it all works, just in case:

Start with the Harmony config since this seems to be tripping you up. You only need to pick one device for your Shield profile, and (ironically enough) you don't want to pick "Shield TV" WITH the Harmony since that profile is for models that have IR (or WiFi/BT if you have the Harmony hub) and you don't want that since you are using a FLIRC. Just pick something that has a lot of buttons available (for flexibility) and won't interfere with any other devices you have. A lot of us here us the ViewTV AT-163 profile. Pick it and name it whatever you want, like "Shield TV" :)

Now your Harmony is programmed to send IR signals for all (or at least most) of it's buttons. *It doesn't matter what those signals are* as long as they are each unique and don't accidentally trigger other equipment (which is why the AT-163 is a good choice....unless of course you have one :) ). All that matters is that when you press a button, a unique IR command is blasted out. The FLIRC will do the rest. 

Now, the FLIRC. The FLIRC dongle takes those discreet IR signals and translates them to commands the Shield TV understands. When you program the FLIRC via its application and assign IR commands to buttons you want to make sure you use the Shield layout first, for the basics, because Jason updated the software with the correct commands the Shield needs. Specifically, the "ok" button now functions correctly cross-app. So choose that profile and manually (don't click "Go" and have it do it automatically, that will map some commands you want for Kodi later twice) click each button, then press the corresponding button on your Harmony remote to map it. Basically, the 4 directions, the "ok" button, the back button, and the home button. Pick the buttons on your Harmony you want to do those functions (should be obvious) and have at it.

Once you've done that, bring up the Kodi layout. Now you can program buttons for things like Play, Pause, ff/rw, etc. 

If you want even more control, skip the Kodi layout and use the full keyboard layout instead. Pull up (or print) this page for reference: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls . That's a complete list of keyboard shortcuts for Kodi. You can assign buttons to whatever keys on the keyboard you want. Don't forget that with most Harmony's you can also create custom buttons if you want to map advanced stuff, like for subtitles. Again, it doesn't matter what IR commands are assigned to the Harmony for each button, as long as it is discreet! The FLIRC is going to take whatever IR signal you sent it and translate that to the correct keyboard command. 

Doing this will give you:

Basic Shield remote functionality across all applications (except voice control, since there's no mic on the Harmony.)

Advanced keymap control for apps that support full keyboard commands - like Kodi.

Get it?

On 5/7/2017 at 11:57 AM, ArmoredDragon said:

In case anybody is interested, I have figured out how to turn off the Shield TV with Harmony 650+Flirc (or more precisely, put the Shield TV to sleep.) Yes, I'm THAT OCD about keeping my power bill down (not to mention keeping my house cooler in Phoenix summers.)

What you'll want to do is tell your Harmony that in fact you do want to control the power of your Shield TV, and then set the Flirc to recognize your profile's power off button. Different profiles have different defaults in this regard, and I know people use different ones, so I'm just going to tell you how I configured mine:

1. I used DanVM's instructions (found here), only I used Flirc XBMC profile (when I chose it, MyHarmony called it Flirc Kodi) as my beginning template and renamed it to Shield TV.

2. In the MyHarmony application, Under Devices > Change Device Settings > Power Settings > Next > I want to turn off this device when not in use. > I press the same button for on and for off > Next > +Add Command > Under the dropdown menu, select PowerOff > Leave everything else default and click Finish

3. Open the Flirc application > Controllers > Media Keys > click the power icon button.

4. On your Harmony remote's LCD screen buttons, go to Devices > Shield TV (or whatever you named it) > Power Off. (If your flirc application says 'Recorded Successfully', then it worked, even if it suspended your PC.)

Done! Connect your Flirc to your Shield TV and your harmony remote should turn it off as expected.

Ideally, somebody could pester logitech (I don't know how to contact them) to add a Flirc + Shield TV profile that effectively does everything I mentioned above.

Here are some things that I wish we could have but probably can't ever have:

- Universal 8 second back / 30 second forward buttons that don't bring up the playbar overlay

- Universal subtitle toggle button (for those moments when you're not quite sure what the person is saying)

- A way to use voice search without having to reach for the Shield TV stick remote

(By universal, I mean works on every app)

One can only dream, I suppose. Nonetheless, this works really well, and I have to say that the Shield TV is the best STB I've ever owned (you really can have it all with this thing; netflix, amazon, youtube, plex, kodi, hbo, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, emulators, all on a very speedy UI) and Flirc makes it even better.

Any way we could get a sticky setup for both of these?  I used the instructions here (https://flirc.gitbooks.io/flirc-instructions/content/universal-remote-controls/logitech-harmony-remote-controls/nvidia-shield-tv.html) and still was left with missing functions.  I combed through this entire forum topic and using these two forum posts allowed all the buttons to function on Kodi and from the Nvidia Shield TV Android interface along with powering off my device when turning it off (with the second post).  Anyone still having problems. these two solved all my issues.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 6:20 PM, knewknow said:

Did you ever figure this out. I've been going nuts trying to get my URC MX-990 to do this but, with no luck.

Just got back into this after using my flirc for a few years on an FTV2 with the Harmony One. Now trying to use it on my new Shield TV and Harmony One remote. Based on what I'm reading both devices already have profiles ready to go all I need is firmware version 4.1.0 on the flirc. However, latest software says I have 3.9 and 3.9 is the latest. What am I missing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, TheStevester said:

Did you ever figure this out. I've been going nuts trying to get my URC MX-990 to do this but, with no luck.

It's not possible to bring up the multi-task menu because Flirc can't send the correct HID code for that button on the Shield remote.  No amount of configuration with URC's or Flirc's software is going to change that.

As I wrote above:

The correct buttons for SHIELD to match every button on the included 2017 remote for both short and long press, are all from the HID Consumer Usage table - and none are gamepad buttons.  Flirc's Shield profile doesn't use all these codes (only some) and can't use higher numbered ones with the current firmware, so it's impossible at the moment to mimic all the buttons properly. 

Edited by foto808

4 hours ago, foto808 said:

It's not possible to bring up the multi-task menu because Flirc can't send the correct HID code for that button on the Shield remote.  No amount of configuration with URC's or Flirc's software is going to change that.

As I wrote above:

The correct buttons for SHIELD to match every button on the included 2017 remote for both short and long press, are all from the HID Consumer Usage table - and none are gamepad buttons.  Flirc's Shield profile doesn't use all these codes (only some) and can't use higher numbered ones with the current firmware, so it's impossible at the moment to mimic all the buttons properly. 

Thanks for pointing that out to me. That's a real bummer.

Hi - I have a rooted Nvidia Shield TV 2017, and a Pronto Pro TSU-9600. 

I have programmed up basic cursor functionality for my NSTV-2017 on the Pronto, but I am seeing other posts here that indicate that I can get more functionality than that.

Has anybody created a Pronto Pro FLIRC configuration that I could use? If "yes", please let me know what device you used for the IR commands from the Pronto Pro transceiver.

Thanks,

AzJazz

• 1 month later...

I am tying to setup a Flirc with my Nvidia Shield TV and Harmony remote, and have a some questions, as I am having difficulty getting it to work.

1.  Is this the preferred or best working configuration for the most complete and accurate control of the Shield?  I know the file suffix needs to be changed to .fcfg, and I have done that.  

On 11/21/2016 at 6:12 PM, jason said:

@interr0bangr can you give the attached a shot?

my_flirc_config2.bin

I am using a Harmony Elite which is a hub based remote.  I have chosen the ViewTv AT-163 device (which shows up as DVR type device in the app), the Harmony app, appears to have accepted that make/model.  However, when operating the remote it doesn't appear it is a working profile as neither the remote nor the hub seem to be sending any recognizable infrared commands.  I have operated the remote in device function with the ViewTv selected, and in activity function with activity built using the ViewTV and it doesn't appear to be sending any recognizable commands.  When trying to record even a number key while pointing the Flirc at the hub or the remote, the Flirc does not receive a command.  But the remote will turn on/off my tv, change inputs, etc. so I know the infrared is functioning okay.

2.  Has anybody used the Harmony Elite remote and hub to setup the Flirc for use with the Shield, if so what device profile did you use?  Did this device profile work with the above configuration file?

I know I can use the bluetooth function of the Harmony hub to control the Shield and have it programmed that way now, but the bluetooth is buggy for some reason and Harmony hasn't offered any help or suggestions for resolving this issue.  Hence the attempt to use the Flirc and infrared.  

3.  If that is the preferred configuration, do I just download the file to my computer then in the Flirc app:  File -> Load Configuration -> then just select the downloaded configuration file?  Does the Flirc autosave?

I have done what I described in item 3 above and the shield doesn't not respond.  Am I missing a step?

I apologize for the long post, and would greatly appreciate any help in getting my Harmony Elite remote and Flirc to work with my Nvidia Shield.  Thanks in advance!

15 hours ago, soundtrek said:

I am tying to setup a Flirc with my Nvidia Shield TV and Harmony remote, and have a some questions, as I am having difficulty getting it to work.

1.  Is this the preferred or best working configuration for the most complete and accurate control of the Shield?  I know the file suffix needs to be changed to .fcfg, and I have done that.  

I am using a Harmony Elite which is a hub based remote.  I have chosen the ViewTv AT-163 device (which shows up as DVR type device in the app), the Harmony app, appears to have accepted that make/model.  However, when operating the remote it doesn't appear it is a working profile as neither the remote nor the hub seem to be sending any recognizable infrared commands.  I have operated the remote in device function with the ViewTv selected, and in activity function with activity built using the ViewTV and it doesn't appear to be sending any recognizable commands.  When trying to record even a number key while pointing the Flirc at the hub or the remote, the Flirc does not receive a command.  But the remote will turn on/off my tv, change inputs, etc. so I know the infrared is functioning okay.

2.  Has anybody used the Harmony Elite remote and hub to setup the Flirc for use with the Shield, if so what device profile did you use?  Did this device profile work with the above configuration file?

I know I can use the bluetooth function of the Harmony hub to control the Shield and have it programmed that way now, but the bluetooth is buggy for some reason and Harmony hasn't offered any help or suggestions for resolving this issue.  Hence the attempt to use the Flirc and infrared.  

3.  If that is the preferred configuration, do I just download the file to my computer then in the Flirc app:  File -> Load Configuration -> then just select the downloaded configuration file?  Does the Flirc autosave?

I have done what I described in item 3 above and the shield doesn't not respond.  Am I missing a step?

I apologize for the long post, and would greatly appreciate any help in getting my Harmony Elite remote and Flirc to work with my Nvidia Shield.  Thanks in advance!

You should use the Logitech Profile:

Manufacturer: Flirc

Device: firetv

No additional pairing or flirc software is needed. These configurations are ready to go with harmony.

Thank you Jason, that worked.  I don't know much about keyboard shortcuts with the shield and which key combos do what, but with the bluetooth programming through Hamrony I had next track and previous track commands that were programmed to the channel up and channel down buttons on the Harmony Elite remote.  The description from the Harmony app is: NextTrack (Nvidia Game Conslole), for channel/page up, and PreviousTrack (Nvidia Game Console) for channel/page down.  I have attached a couple photos to show the Harmony naming of these buttons.  In the app I use most with the Shield, these buttons performed as page up and page down which help get through lists quicker. 

Can this page up/page down function be added to this profile and if so, what would be the process and steps needed to accomplish this? 

Thanks again Jason for the help and thank in advance for the help on my additional question/request.

Channel:Page down.png

Channel:Page up.png

Just thought of a couple more things.  The Shield TV will also respond to number inputs, any way to add numbers to the FireTv Flirc configuration?  And last is, can I add a sleep function to the FireTv config to put the Shield TV to sleep when pressing the off button on the Harmony Elite remote?  

If any of these are possible, what steps do I take to make those changes?  

Thanks again!