Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

1 hour ago, jason said:

File - clear configuration

then use my software and teach the remote to Flirc again.  

Thanks Jason, I’ll give that a go. 

One question though. I want the Flirc unit to use the stock Shield remote codes but when I tried to learn from the 2019 Shield Pro remote, I get nothing. Maybe that remote isn’t IR?

6 hours ago, hedkase said:

One question though. I want the Flirc unit to use the stock Shield remote codes but when I tried to learn from the 2019 Shield Pro remote, I get nothing. Maybe that remote isn’t IR?

Download my software to your comuter. Launch that. 

Go to file-> controllers Nvidia Shield Gen2. Grab your celestron remote, and then pair the buttons on my GUI with your crestron remote.

20 hours ago, hedkase said:

and yes, it's because it's not IR. You are basically pairing the same functionality of the shield remote into another IR remote. So that when you press those buttons on your remote, they do those same functions as the bluetooth remote on the shield.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, Sorry if this has already been asked I have a new 2019 Shield TV Pro, Harmony Elite Remote, and FLIRC.  The Shield is far away from the Harmony hub so the Harmony has a wired IR dongle that is runs to the FLIRC to get commands to it for the Shield.  Everything works fine per the FLIRC setup instructions (adding device FLIRC manufacturer and Shield TV model) but the Shield does not turn off with the Harmony.  There appears to be a line in the shutdown sequence to shut down the shield but it does not seem to do anything.  Also when I look at the commands available to the FLIRC device, there is no power button there.  Any advice would be helpful to add the power command to this Harmony "device" would be appreciated.  Screenshots from MyHarmony below.  Thank you!

Available Commands.JPG

FLIRC Shield Device.JPG

Shutdown Sequence.JPG

• 2 months later...

Does anybody have long press commands (select, forward) working with any remote? I can't seem to get it working. With HBO app, long press left and right appears to be the only way to rewind/forward. With regular keypress you only advance by 1 sec. Needless to say, it makes my IR remote unusable and I have to fall back to original remote. 

14 hours ago, SomethingSomethingDarkSide said:

Yes, I have long press Select working with Kodi to bring up the context menu.

Did you do anything special or it "just works"? What actual IR remote are you using? I have URC and have it configured to continuously send IR while pressed. Not sure what else to do.

Update: Nevermind, particular IR code set I was using didn't sent repeated command as repeat but rather just repeated full command. Changed IR set and it's working now. Too many moving pieces.

Edited by TVAddict

First of all, thanks for the development of FLIRC and active forum support. Quite a cool little dongle.

I've been reading trough most of this thread and also through the manual. Unfortunately, I cannot get to work what should be a very simple application of FLIRC.

My setup: Nvidia Shield TV (2017), FLIRC connectde to the USB of the Shield, ATV Remote (gen 2, silver one). I've updated the FLIRC dongle to the latest firmware by connecting it to my Macbook and launching the FLIRC config tool.

I'd prefer to use the ATV Remote to control the Shield. I don't want to use the Shield remote control at all (planning to unpair it). I am only looking for basic features.

I'd need some help with a step-by-step guide.

1) Do I need to program the keys? I tried doing so on my Macbook with the tool. But none of the clicks of my ATV remote are getting recognized. Not needed or doing anything wrong?

2) Do I need to do anything to let the Shield know that I'd like to use the FLIRC dongle? Anything to do in the settings? The Shield remote obviously works, but that's blueotooth. Anything to do to activate the dongle and allow control over IR?

Anything else I'd need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

First of all, thanks for the development of FLIRC and active forum support. Quite a cool little dongle.

I've been reading trough most of this thread and also through the manual. Unfortunately, I cannot get to work what should be a very simple application of FLIRC.

My setup: Nvidia Shield TV (2017), FLIRC connectde to the USB of the Shield, ATV Remote (gen 2, silver one). I've updated the FLIRC dongle to the latest firmware by connecting it to my Macbook and launching the FLIRC config tool.

I'd prefer to use the ATV Remote to control the Shield. I don't want to use the Shield remote control at all (planning to unpair it). I am only looking for basic features.

I'd need some help with a step-by-step guide.

1) Do I need to program the keys? I tried doing so on my Macbook with the tool. But none of the clicks of my ATV remote are getting recognized. Not needed or doing anything wrong?

2) Do I need to do anything to let the Shield know that I'd like to use the FLIRC dongle? Anything to do in the settings? The Shield remote obviously works, but that's blueotooth. Anything to do to activate the dongle and allow control over IR?

Anything else I'd need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Make sure adb debugging is off

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a new Crestron Remote that actually connects to my Crestron system via wifi and then an IR Blaster running to the Flirc dongle which is inputted to my 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro. Everything is working great except for text entry, such as signing up with my email and password in an app. The keyboard will not pop up the vast majority of the time and when it does show it does not allow for text entry in to the text entry fields. Everything else is working fine, except that one issue. When I use the Crestron enter button in a text entry field, the button seems to act as a space button and just moves the cursor one space for each click or it scrolls if I hold the Creston enter button. Any thoughts about how this can be rectified? Thanks so much, John

Just discovered the Flirc and reading up on it as I'm considering an Android TV box.

I'm confused by all this talk of the 2019 Nvidia Shield TV. It doesn't have an USB socket so I don't see how it can work with the Flirc.

I understand the Nvidia Shield TV Pro does and so the Flirc does work.

Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Mark Baines said:

I'm confused by all this talk of the 2019 Nvidia Shield TV. It doesn't have an USB socket so I don't see how it can work with the Flirc.

When this thread was started, the difference between Pro and non-Pro, was simply a hard drive, this changed a little over the years, then 2019 update occurred, and the little stick thing appeared as a Shield TV and there was a far bigger difference. You will find all prior talk is now effectively relevant only to the current Pro model.

13 minutes ago, csalmon said:

Mark, If this is in reference to my post above then yes I was talking about the 2019 Shield TV Pro.  And yes all functions work with the exception of power off when you are using a Logitech Harmony.

I beg to differ, I managed to make the power off function work on my logitech harmony one

(check my previous posts on the subject)

Thanks, I see your post Mick.  This seems more like a workaround than an actual solution.  I did connect Jason with someone from Logitech support but he couldn't get them to connect him to the right people to get the command added to the myharmony software so the problem lingers.  Until then maybe I will try your solution, or just keep manually putting it to sleep before shutting down my system.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, just picked up a logitech harmony 665 (which has IR and not bluetooth) so I ordered a FLIRC and found this post, because I have a 2019 shield pro, and want to get the harmony to control the shield.  I have a question.  

The USB ports on the shield are on the back, which I assume wont work if I plug the flirc in there because it needs line of sight.  If I bought one of these 90 degree adapters, which would make the flirc point upwards and clear the back of the shield, will that work? I am not sure where the IR sensor on the flirc is? Does the top of the flirc need to be pointed towards me?

https://smile.amazon.com/Adapter-VCZHS-USB3-0-Converter-Female/dp/B01G8H7I44/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CTT9ZYPDRP3WXS1V8VCR

Edited by saiyanzzrage

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a harmony one and a harmony elite remote.  I have both programmed for my nvidia shield TV (gen 2) using the Flirc dongle.    When scrolling through a list of movies (about 250) the down scroll is extremely slow.   On my nvidia original remote it scrolls fast up and down.    It only scrolls quickly using the flirc when I scroll up.   Any suggestions?   I've already tried reporgramming it from scratch (twice).   I've updated the flirc dongle to the latest firmware and updated the flirc software.