Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

On 11/11/2019 at 7:38 AM, Rojma said:

I got most of the functionality of the new Nvidia Shield Pro TV remote to work with Flirc and a Logitech Harmony 700 using the instructions for the older Nvidia Shield TV remote and from a lot of the information in this thread. However there are three things I have not been able to figure out:

1) The new Nvidia Shield Pro TV remote has a Settings button on it. From other posts I figured out that I can get this button to work with a long keypress of Esc. I captured the Esc key to my remote and when I hold that button down I did in fact confirm it works. However I would like to better emulate the behavior of the original remote where a quick press of the button instead of a long press of the button brings up the Settings. Is there any way to do this?

2) By connecting a keyboard to the Nvidia Shield Pro TV I discovered that F8 brings up a text (not voice) Search which is perfect. I recorded F8 to one of the buttons on my remote but it doesn't seem to work. I hit the button on the remote and nothing happens. All other buttons I have recorded work fine. I even erased the button and tried to rerecord it but it still doesn't work. Any idea what is going on?

3) One of the reasons I connected a keyboard to the Nvidia Shield Pro TV is to try and discover what maps to the Netflix button that is on the new remote. However I was not able to discover what the button is mapped to. Any idea what key the Netflix button is mapped to and/or how I can discover what key it is mapped to?

BTW great product! I have three and am using them on the new Nvidia Shield Pro TV and two gen 1 Amazon Fire TV Cubes.

Can you walk me through your setup? Or point me in the right direction on how to set this up?

I've got a 1st Gen flirc (do I need 2nd gen?  I have an old harmony one which uses the Logitech software to sync on my Mac.

Do I set up the 2019 shield as a home theater PC or game console? What model do you put down?

I've seen a couple of different methods in this thread to get it started but Everytime, I am having lag and the power toggle/sleep function doesn't work. 

Spent way more time on this than I would like but feel that the solution is close. 

Hi, I own a Shield TV Pro 2019 and noticed the sleep/suspend button works to put it in standby, but it doesn't wake it up. I have to send a random key like direction down to wake it.

Besides that, I discovered that the "settings" button on the new remote matches the kay named "the menu key" or  "the application key" on a windows oriented keyboard (bottom right, next to the Ctrl key). But I can't find it in the Full Keyboard layout of the Flirc app. Can you add it ?

Thanks !

What is the best way to program all button functionality to match the new Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 remote with C4?  I was using 3.24.0 and upgraded the program hoping that the new remote would be there to program, but it's not.  Currently with the C4, I was able to control the NVidia Shield Pro 2017 with IR by a blaster driver installed in C4.  Switching to the new Shield and remote, I attempted to program, but not all buttons on the C4 work as they did previously.

Thanks,

Ryan Dalrymple

Rojma, Control 4 remotes.

When you start the FLIRC app for Windows, several remotes are there for standard models, including the 2017 Nvidia Shield remote for programming.  There has been no update for the 2019 remote, which is completely different.  So, what should I do?

Edited by fizban
Name spelling auto-correct changed it

On 11/21/2019 at 6:29 PM, luke7110 said:

Hi, I own a Shield TV Pro 2019 and noticed the sleep/suspend button works to put it in standby, but it doesn't wake it up. I have to send a random key like direction down to wake it.

Besides that, I discovered that the "settings" button on the new remote matches the kay named "the menu key" or  "the application key" on a windows oriented keyboard (bottom right, next to the Ctrl key). But I can't find it in the Full Keyboard layout of the Flirc app. Can you add it ?

Thanks !

I used this command in a "cmd windows" to add this key to a button on my Harmony One :

flirc_util.exe record_api 0 101

I've explained how I added the "sleep/wake up" on this post

I hope it will work for you :)

On 5/7/2017 at 1:57 PM, ArmoredDragon said:

In case anybody is interested, I have figured out how to turn off the Shield TV with Harmony 650+Flirc (or more precisely, put the Shield TV to sleep.) Yes, I'm THAT OCD about keeping my power bill down (not to mention keeping my house cooler in Phoenix summers.)

What you'll want to do is tell your Harmony that in fact you do want to control the power of your Shield TV, and then set the Flirc to recognize your profile's power off button. Different profiles have different defaults in this regard, and I know people use different ones, so I'm just going to tell you how I configured mine:

1. I used DanVM's instructions (found here), only I used Flirc XBMC profile (when I chose it, MyHarmony called it Flirc Kodi) as my beginning template and renamed it to Shield TV.

2. In the MyHarmony application, Under Devices > Change Device Settings > Power Settings > Next > I want to turn off this device when not in use. > I press the same button for on and for off > Next > +Add Command > Under the dropdown menu, select PowerOff > Leave everything else default and click Finish

3. Open the Flirc application > Controllers > Media Keys > click the power icon button.

4. On your Harmony remote's LCD screen buttons, go to Devices > Shield TV (or whatever you named it) > Power Off. (If your flirc application says 'Recorded Successfully', then it worked, even if it suspended your PC.)

Done! Connect your Flirc to your Shield TV and your harmony remote should turn it off as expected.

Ideally, somebody could pester logitech (I don't know how to contact them) to add a Flirc + Shield TV profile that effectively does everything I mentioned above.

Here are some things that I wish we could have but probably can't ever have:

- Universal 8 second back / 30 second forward buttons that don't bring up the playbar overlay

- Universal subtitle toggle button (for those moments when you're not quite sure what the person is saying)

- A way to use voice search without having to reach for the Shield TV stick remote

(By universal, I mean works on every app)

One can only dream, I suppose. Nonetheless, this works really well, and I have to say that the Shield TV is the best STB I've ever owned (you really can have it all with this thing; netflix, amazon, youtube, plex, kodi, hbo, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, emulators, all on a very speedy UI) and Flirc makes it even better.

So, this worked for me on the 2019 shield.  I'm using an old harmony one, the old logitech harmony software for mac, and just picked up a v2 flirc, and a 2019 shield pro.  The activity created w/the flirc would turn off everything, but it would not turn on.  I did notice that when i hit the "ok" button on my logitech, it would power on the 2019 shield.  So, i added this into the startup sequence, but reviewing the activity and "adding more control".  This allowed me to add the "ok" button into the sequence.  working well right now. 

Edit:  Also works on 1st gen flirc.  

Edited by Omartian

17 hours ago, MickBim said:

I used this command in a "cmd windows" to add this key to a button on my Harmony One :

flirc_util.exe record_api 0 101

I've explained how I added the "sleep/wake up" on this post

I hope it will work for you :)

Yeah, I do almost the same for sleep/wake, media-profile\standby to power it off and shield-profile\direction-down to power it up :D

I'll take a look to the flirc_util.exe record_api 0 101 thing, never tried these cmd line stuff before

Thanks !

Edited by luke7110
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... new user of SHIELD (moved from Minix X8H+) and now discovered there is no support to play 3D ISO. Serves me right for not doing enough research! All my 180+ BD's are ripped to ISO and stored on my Syno NAS, Minix plays them 3D no problem so I didn't even think this was still a "feature" in 2018 but I was wrong. nVidia devs please add this functionality - 3D BD's are being released and in my opinion watching 3D on a 3 metre screen is a pretty awesome experience.

order pcb

Edited by JewelHanda

1 minute ago, SomethingSomethingDarkSide said:

That has nothing to do with Flirc, not sure why you thought it was appropriate to post here. 

Thats better for the actual Nvidia forums. 

Apparently his "research" also didn't include who actually makes the Shield, or where the Nvidia forum is at.

21 minutes ago, fizban said:

Ridicule is not a good look, guys.  He made a mistake.  He’s been corrected.

for the FLIRC team, any idea when you will be adding a preset profile for the New NVShield Pro 2019 remote?

Got the codes from NVIDIA, I’m hoping to release a GUI update asap this week. 

@fizban

I'm having a bit of a tough time. I'm not sure if my shield is not new enough, my shield software is not new enough, or they somehow broke compatibility. I'm building some beta software, I'll post it here for you. Risk is minimal, I've just added a GUI controller with the buttons, and updated the firmware to support the 'netflix' key.

Even with the original firmware, my shield is acting really funny. I don't remember if mine is one a grabbed from the lab there, or if I bought it. I'll post a link shortly. 

6 hours ago, jason said:

@fizban

I'm having a bit of a tough time. I'm not sure if my shield is not new enough, my shield software is not new enough, or they somehow broke compatibility. I'm building some beta software, I'll post it here for you. Risk is minimal, I've just added a GUI controller with the buttons, and updated the firmware to support the 'netflix' key.

Even with the original firmware, my shield is acting really funny. I don't remember if mine is one a grabbed from the lab there, or if I bought it. I'll post a link shortly. 

I'll try it out when you are happy with the beta.  I will say this, when I used the old controller GUI and programmed those buttons, many buttons on the C4 no longer worked properly.  Through an update (app controls built into the new Shield - not the Shield itself) over the last week, some of those buttons have begun working again.  But it's still very slow.  So, it may be an app that allows the remote control to work that's the problem, but programming is not my background.

7 hours ago, jason said:

@fizban

@jason I'd be happy to test too. Will the Harmony profile also be updated over at Logitech?

Here is some software, there is accompanying firmware in each. You should not have to re-learn any buttons.

The firmware upgrade is only to support another USB HID key used by nvidia. There is a new controller which adds the new keys.

Do any buttons work for you at the moment and you are just lacking support for the new buttons? I’ll spend some time on it today.  I did see some buttons working on my shield, but I had to change the way USB reports back to the host, which would mean if that’s the direction I need to go in, customers would need to re-learn buttons.

Linux: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/linux/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.tar.gz

Mac: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/mac/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.dmg

Windows: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/win/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.tar.gz

@Rojma I have been reaching out to Logitech without success. I have a lot of updates for them. I’m trying. I guess people will just have to hang tight for my remote... ssh

23 hours ago, jason said:

Here is some software, there is accompanying firmware in each. You should not have to re-learn any buttons.

The firmware upgrade is only to support another USB HID key used by nvidia. There is a new controller which adds the new keys.

Do any buttons work for you at the moment and you are just lacking support for the new buttons? I’ll spend some time on it today.  I did see some buttons working on my shield, but I had to change the way USB reports back to the host, which would mean if that’s the direction I need to go in, customers would need to re-learn buttons.

Linux: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/linux/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.tar.gz

Mac: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/mac/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.dmg

Windows: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/win/Flirc-3.24.3-3-g6e0058d.tar.gz

@Rojma I have been reaching out to Logitech without success. I have a lot of updates for them. I’m trying. I guess people will just have to hang tight for my remote... ssh

Thank you Jason for posting this. I was excited when I saw your earlier post that you will be having a solution for us and got myself a gen 1 flirc today. However, I can't seem to figure out how to use this .tar file. I would appreciate any help. I've tried putting it in the flirc folder, and then re-opening flirc, but don't seem to see any difference. How should I be using the file?

2 hours ago, Ian Flirc said:

Thank you Jason for posting this. I was excited when I saw your earlier post that you will be having a solution for us and got myself a gen 1 flirc today. However, I can't seem to figure out how to use this .tar file. I would appreciate any help. I've tried putting it in the flirc folder, and then re-opening flirc, but don't seem to see any difference. How should I be using the file?

@Ian Flirc 

It's just a zip format. Download 7zip which should be able to add support for that. You can unzip and run it.

I haven't sold the gen1 in a couple years, are you sure you have one of those? Is it the plastic version?

16 hours ago, jason said:

@Ian Flirc 

It's just a zip format. Download 7zip which should be able to add support for that. You can unzip and run it.

I haven't sold the gen1 in a couple years, are you sure you have one of those? Is it the plastic version?

Thanks. Yes its the plastic version.

After unzipping the .gz file, you get a .tar file. What am I supposed to do with this new .tar file? Windows can't find a suitable programme to open it. I've also tried opening it with the Flirc programme, but nothing seems to be happening. Should there be a new GUI with the new Shield controller after opening it?