Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

Hadn't checked in in a while and I see things have progressed! Woo!!

Couple questions:

Is the any advantage to the Gen 2 over the original using a URC MX-990? 

Any advice/suggestions using the MX-990?

Thanks!

I still can't figure out how to program keys like Play, Pause, Stop, Rew, Fwd, etc for apps like PS Vue, Plex and all others. What am I missing here?

I still can't figure out how to program keys like Play, Pause, Stop, Rew, Fwd, etc for apps like PS Vue, Plex and all others. What am I missing here?

Do those apps support keyboard shortcuts? I think Plex does (at least it does on other platforms). Check their forums for a list of keyboard shortcut keys. Then it's just a matter of following the standard FLIRC process to map buttons on your remote to those keys. See my earlier post in this thread for more guidance on that.

I don't know if the Vue app supports keyboard shortcuts. I know Netflix and HBO Go, etc. don't. For those the standard Shield remote keys are all you can use (and need, really, since the apps are designed that way). 

@drloser Flirc acts as an USB Keyboard. Keyboards don't have Shield gamepad bumpers. Unless you know the key combination on Shield that emulates bumpers then there's nothing Flirc can do right now. I'm not saying that it's totally not possible, but would not hold my breadth waiting for such support, because it would require a quite a few changes in the firmware.

It won't help in case of Flirc. It's not the issue of the IR signal but the USB interface communication with the device. As I've mentioned in my previous post Flirc is basically an USB keyboard (it acts as one). It would need to emulate a different device type (a gamepad) to be able to send HID codes associated with gamepads and be understood by the Shield.

I'm using my FLIRC on my Nvidia Shield (2017).  I've got it configured as described by @ixian and it's working well for the most part.

One question I have is, is there any way for it to put the Shield into Sleep Mode when pressing the "All Off" button on my Harmony 650?

Right now, the "all off" turns off my TV and sound bar.  The Shield doesn't turn off (or go into sleep mode) however, and the green light remains on.

On the native Shield remote, holding down the "previous button" would bring up the screen to allow you put into sleep mode manually, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I know it will time out in 20 minutes, but the obsessive compulsive in me would like all the devices to turn off when I want them to.

Edited by RockAndRoller70

I'm using my FLIRC on my Nvidia Shield (2017).  I've got it configured as described by @ixian and it's working well for the most part.

One question I have is, is there any way for it to put the Shield into Sleep Mode when pressing the "All Off" button on my Harmony 650?

Right now, the "all off" turns off my TV and sound bar.  The Shield doesn't turn off (or go into sleep mode) however, and the green light remains on.

On the native Shield remote, holding down the "previous button" would bring up the screen to allow you put into sleep mode manually, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I know it will time out in 20 minutes, but the obsessive compulsive in me would like all the devices to turn off when I want them to.

Mine goes to sleep when I power off via Harmony like the rest of my devices. When in doubt completely delete the Shield profile from the Harmony, re-add it, and for good measure wipe the FLIRC and re-run setup for it too like I posted.

Or just live with it - the Shield draws very little power at idle, will auto-sleep anyway as you discovered, and in general isn't a big deal.

Question: If it's asleep (via auto) does it turn on with your profile? If so something is messed up in it and you should start over.

Just connected my Flirc and configured my Harmony, awesome job!

The only button which isn't working yet is the record, if someone has a fix for this, that would be great.

Record in what app? Live Channels? If there's a keyboard shortcut for that then it's just a matter of mapping it to a discreet IR code (doesn't matter what device) in the Harmony app. If there are no keyboard shortcuts for record in the app in question then not much FLIRC can do. 

ixian can you help please . i have 16gb 2017 version i was having same issue as other member above with device not turning off, everything else works but it just wont turn of so i followed the above instructions , 

i have deleted activity and device ViewTV AT-163 . synced device to clear it 

ive added device ViewTV AT-163 and created actvity,

ive wiped the flirc and re registered nvidia controlls in flirc manually , 

ive added only info key and c context menu key for kodi.

everything working fine but it will not turn of , could i be missing something ? 

hi using harmony 650 

as for button to power it of i dont know exacty. ive followed your instructions ,but you dont mention anything about configuring a power of button using flirc , i presumed the back button configured in flirc would take controll of that as on original nvidia remote press and hold back button brings up shutdown menu pop up , but not when using harmony 650 it seems its only registerred as a single press back button, holding the back button does nothing except go back ,

i dont see how i can assign an actual key in harmony software to shut down as you cant register a key command from nvidia remote as its not ir unless im missing something 

any ideas ?

Hi, thanks for the Shield profile, I switched from a Roku to a Shield (no IR), and was pulling my hair out trying to get a MCE IR USB receiver working with a MCE profile in my URC MX-890 remotes.

I used a Panasonic TC-P65VT50 as profile in Complete Control, and I programmed the shield profile and the media keys profile in Flirc.

The time between presses was so slow, I changed the "Minimum Repeat When Pressed" to 1 in CC, reprogrammed, more bearable. Still much slower than the native remote, but the same situation with Roku where the native remote is fast, IR not so much.

The inter key delay settings in the Flirc advanced UI is greyed out, don't know if there is another way to get keys to be more responsive?

When I program the home button, it launches my default browser on my Win10 PC, looks like the programming key is passed to the PC?

I was an early adopter of the first generation units, but gave up after I found them to be prone to interference and key-press loops, basically drove my wife crazy, who in turn drove me crazy. The new unit seems to work great so far.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you.

Edited by ptr727

• 1 month later...

What Harmony are you using?

What is assigned to power on/off?

My setup Logitech 1100, Shield, Flirc, Sony 4K and Denon will only turn off the Shield when Bravia Sync is turned on but the problem with that is with it on when I switch inputs the TV always switches to the TV speakers.  Is there a different way to get the Shield to go into Sleep mode?

In case anybody is interested, I have figured out how to turn off the Shield TV with Harmony 650+Flirc (or more precisely, put the Shield TV to sleep.) Yes, I'm THAT OCD about keeping my power bill down (not to mention keeping my house cooler in Phoenix summers.)

What you'll want to do is tell your Harmony that in fact you do want to control the power of your Shield TV, and then set the Flirc to recognize your profile's power off button. Different profiles have different defaults in this regard, and I know people use different ones, so I'm just going to tell you how I configured mine:

1. I used DanVM's instructions (found here), only I used Flirc XBMC profile (when I chose it, MyHarmony called it Flirc Kodi) as my beginning template and renamed it to Shield TV.

2. In the MyHarmony application, Under Devices > Change Device Settings > Power Settings > Next > I want to turn off this device when not in use. > I press the same button for on and for off > Next > +Add Command > Under the dropdown menu, select PowerOff > Leave everything else default and click Finish

3. Open the Flirc application > Controllers > Media Keys > click the power icon button.

4. On your Harmony remote's LCD screen buttons, go to Devices > Shield TV (or whatever you named it) > Power Off. (If your flirc application says 'Recorded Successfully', then it worked, even if it suspended your PC.)

Done! Connect your Flirc to your Shield TV and your harmony remote should turn it off as expected.

Ideally, somebody could pester logitech (I don't know how to contact them) to add a Flirc + Shield TV profile that effectively does everything I mentioned above.

Here are some things that I wish we could have but probably can't ever have:

- Universal 8 second back / 30 second forward buttons that don't bring up the playbar overlay

- Universal subtitle toggle button (for those moments when you're not quite sure what the person is saying)

- A way to use voice search without having to reach for the Shield TV stick remote

(By universal, I mean works on every app)

One can only dream, I suppose. Nonetheless, this works really well, and I have to say that the Shield TV is the best STB I've ever owned (you really can have it all with this thing; netflix, amazon, youtube, plex, kodi, hbo, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, emulators, all on a very speedy UI) and Flirc makes it even better.

Edited by ArmoredDragon
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2017 at 10:57 AM, ArmoredDragon said:

In case anybody is interested, I have figured out how to turn off the Shield TV with Harmony 650+Flirc (or more precisely, put the Shield TV to sleep.) Yes, I'm THAT OCD about keeping my power bill down (not to mention keeping my house cooler in Phoenix summers.)

What you'll want to do is tell your Harmony that in fact you do want to control the power of your Shield TV, and then set the Flirc to recognize your profile's power off button. Different profiles have different defaults in this regard, and I know people use different ones, so I'm just going to tell you how I configured mine:

1. I used DanVM's instructions (found here), only I used Flirc XBMC profile (when I chose it, MyHarmony called it Flirc Kodi) as my beginning template and renamed it to Shield TV.

2. In the MyHarmony application, Under Devices > Change Device Settings > Power Settings > Next > I want to turn off this device when not in use. > I press the same button for on and for off > Next > +Add Command > Under the dropdown menu, select PowerOff > Leave everything else default and click Finish

3. Open the Flirc application > Controllers > Media Keys > click the power icon button.

4. On your Harmony remote's LCD screen buttons, go to Devices > Shield TV (or whatever you named it) > Power Off. (If your flirc application says 'Recorded Successfully', then it worked, even if it suspended your PC.)

Done! Connect your Flirc to your Shield TV and your harmony remote should turn it off as expected.

Ideally, somebody could pester logitech (I don't know how to contact them) to add a Flirc + Shield TV profile that effectively does everything I mentioned above.

Here are some things that I wish we could have but probably can't ever have:

- Universal 8 second back / 30 second forward buttons that don't bring up the playbar overlay

- Universal subtitle toggle button (for those moments when you're not quite sure what the person is saying)

- A way to use voice search without having to reach for the Shield TV stick remote

(By universal, I mean works on every app)

One can only dream, I suppose. Nonetheless, this works really well, and I have to say that the Shield TV is the best STB I've ever owned (you really can have it all with this thing; netflix, amazon, youtube, plex, kodi, hbo, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, emulators, all on a very speedy UI) and Flirc makes it even better.

Rock star, need any more flircs/cases? My way to thank you for this. I'll turn this into a help article.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...