Flirc Forums

Revert to old firmware and config currently in one of my two flirc devices.

tuareg

Hi! I have two Flirc units and Windows 10. They were both programmed about a year or more ago with the then available firmware  in Windows 8 and then put away, since I was waiting till the number keys could be used for sending triple taps (one numeric and then three alphabets ) like in SMS's. I decided to try them out now and upgraded one to the latest firmware 1.36 and tried to program, but faced considerable difficulties, like either having to press a key twice, or keys not working on a restart besides others. The second unit which had been programmed then seems to be working fine as it was without of course the desired triple tap keys.

I request help on:

1. How do I transfer the exact firmware and programmed data from the working unit to the other one and thereby remove the new firmware and data from the newly prgrammed one.

2. Has triple tap been enabled or not yet ?

Appreciate help.

Hi,

You need to contact Jason via the contact email for the downgrade solution. The mail should on his forum profile and also on the main Flirc web page. If you search for downgrade on the forum you should also be able to find some informations.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I don't think that SMS type input is or will be supported anytime soon. Even if it will be in some future firmware version then I don't know if it is even possible to have any visual feedback on the screen given that Flirc is "just" a keyboard device and doesn't know anything about what's going on in the system itself. With "visual feedback" I mean that when you press once you immediately see first character which is then replaced on next press in a short time and you skip to the next character after some timeout. I think the most you would get is that you need to count presses by yourself and then wait for character to show up. But still this is still not supported in the firmware. This is more of an USB HID keyboard standard limitation than the Flirc itself.

You can emulate this in the software if you're using Windows or Linux based HTPC for example. There are multiple solutions for this.

Thanks, then that also means that the same remote button cannot be assigned to two different keys for different programs or can it? Meaning that if say the F key works for fast forward in Kodi, and in PowerDVD the same is done by say Q then with Flirc itself we cannot have a method to switch profiles for the same key from F to Q or is there any way?

A software solution like Intelliremote of course works beautifully for this.

Yes, you are right. It's not possible with the Flirc alone. But you still can use it with either an universal remote where you can configure different devices for different software and then record it separately with different mappings or you can use software solutions like AutoHotKey or EventGhost to listen on keyboard events and then control the software you want directly. You can find my thread about using Flirc as a generic HID device with EventGhost. Just keep in mind that solution is not officially supported. It won't break your Flirc but if you have any problems with it then ask only in that thread.

Thanks a lot for your help. I managed to downgrade the firmware to 1.2.6. So both units are working fine with Kodi now.

I noticed from the forums that quite a few people have had problems with 1.3.6, Do you suggest that I stick to 1.2.6 or upgrade to a more stable version when it comes out.

To be honest I'm using 1.3.6 for quite some time now and I don't have any problems with it. I don't know what's the reason why it doesn't work for some people.

Anyway if it works well for you then keep it on 1.2.6 unless there's some really great change and functionality added that you can't live without in some future releases. There's no reason to upgrade for the upgrade itself.