Flirc Forums

One way to program a Harmony 700 to use with Fire TV

puzzledad

I am new at this, but I recently acquired a Fire TV, and I have been using 1 remote with all of my media gear, the Harmony 700. Since the Fire TV remote is bluetooth, I acquired a Flirc. The latest Flirc software has a built in protocol for Fire TV, and it was easy to program the Flirc.  The Harmony 700 had corresponding keys for every key but the Home key.  Not wanting to go into an involved procedure to create the Home key code, I decided to try some of the remotes I have lying around. I finally found 1 remote that had a Home key that worked with the Fire TV (via the Flirc). The remote is a Sony RMT-B107A remote for a Sony model BDP-S570/BX57 Blu-ray Disc player. I used this remote to help the Harmony 700 "learn" the Home key.  Alas, there is always a catch-22. When I press the Home key to activate the Fire TV, I also turn the DVD player on as well...  There are probably a multitude of media players out there that have a Home key, so if you have one, see if it will activate the Fire TV via the Flirc, and if it does, you can then program your remote.