Flirc Forums

Program-specific mappings and on the fly profile swapping

I made a program that does something similar to this, but using a mobile device (connected via Telnet) as a remote instead of an IR remote.

My program let you have a profile for each program, and a universal one to fall back upon if one didn't exist for the program you're using. And it would switch to the profile automatically for whatever program was currently in-focus.

Could you do something similar?

That way we could for example, have a different profile for Media Player than we would Powerpoint.

• Like 1

Could you do something similar?

Hmm, I guess the main draw of Flirc is not needing software installed to use it (other than initial programming it) so a solution that would allow you to control different things would have to be coded within Flirc module.

(e.g. XBMC preset: Play on remote = p

Powerpoint preset: Play on remote = F5 (or whatever starts a slideshow))

Also I believe Flirc can only store 160 keys, I say only but if you had several presets then it may get used up.

But as the idea goes I think it is a good one - you could use the colour buttons on your remote (I don't use them) to switch presets:

Red = switch to XBMC preset

Blue = switch to powerpoint

Green = switch to windows media player

Certainly an idea to entertain... how easy it is to implement - I have no idea.

Pleasant regards,

Chris!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this feature is unecessary. The FLIRC already works to emulate key-presses from a keyboard. The bit I like about it is that there isn't anything needed to be running on your device and if it works with a keyboard then it works with a FLIRC.

These requests seem to me to come from people who's remote's aren't flexible enough to cope. For those people surely another device is actually a better solution, as there are plenty of IR receivers that run apps on your device that interpret key presses and have "profiles" based on apps. Those solutions for an HTPC are why I got a FLIRC.

Just my 1/2 penny's worth.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the concept of keeping the Flirc simple and true to an IR-USB input device, without requiring additional software beyond initial setup. In fact I LOVE that aspect of it.

However there are certainly applications for having multiple profiles. For example, I mostly use Plex on my HTPC, which I have mapped through Flirc to be controlled with my TV remote. Occasionally I'll use Media Center for Netflix duties however, and this uses a completely different set of keyboard shortcuts than Plex. For example, the pause button on Plex is space bar, but for Media Center it's Ctrl+P. Thus I cannot use the same remote for both apps without profile switching.

The workaround as far as I can tell is to use another remote, or setup another profile on a Harmony remote, and program the additional Media Center buttons to this remote/profile. Of course during playback you have to remember to use the right remote/profile for the particular app you're in; a task a computer is better suited to handle in the first place IMO.

If you're looking for an example in the human interface device space, Logitech supports automatic profile switching for their G-series mice and keyboards. They store these profiles on the mouse/keyboard itself, and utilize pre-installed Logitech software to tell the device which profile to use at any particular time. Definitely a bit more complex, but extremely powerful at the same time.