Flirc Forums

PC immediately wakes up when flirc is plugged in

obs0lete

Hi!

I just got my flirc and am loving it so far. I have one issue that I can't seem to figure out however.

Before I had my flirc, I would put my PC (Win 7 x64, BIOS set to S3) to sleep and it would stay that way until I sent a WOL command. No problem.

Now after plugging in my flirc, as soon as the PC goes to sleep it wakes up right away. Unplugging the flirc again and and trying to get the PC to sleep (and stay that way) works.

I do have the Sleep Detection setting enabled in the flirc GUI. What can be causing this? Any tips on where/what settings I should be checking?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you!

So I did discover that the flirc added an HID Keyboard device in Windows, I disabled the "Allow this device to turn com PC" option and when the PC sleeps now, it's stays that way.

Obviously, I can't wake it from my remote because the wake setting on that HID deive is disabled. Not an ideal solution.

Any tips or suggestions out there?

Thanks!

Okay, how about this: http://cl.ly/2j3g3V2D0a0q

I found some duplicates, play and pause. Please re-record that.

I also found the wake key, which is strange, as that's now the only button that should be able to wake your machine. I deleted that, just in case it was an accident. Re-record it if it wasn't. I've also disabled built in profiles, in case noise was matching those signals.

Give that a shot and let me know if it works. If it doesn't, try going to advanced, and enabling the noise filter.

Okay, how about this: http://cl.ly/2j3g3V2D0a0q

I found some duplicates, play and pause. Please re-record that.

I also found the wake key, which is strange, as that's now the only button that should be able to wake your machine. I deleted that, just in case it was an accident. Re-record it if it wasn't. I've also disabled built in profiles, in case noise was matching those signals.

Give that a shot and let me know if it works. If it doesn't, try going to advanced, and enabling the noise filter.

Awesome, thank you Jason! I will give this a shot when I get home tonight.

I had mapped the wake key to one of the buttons on my remote so that I could wake up the PC using a button. I will try re-record that button and see if it does power on now using your modified config.

I'll report back later tonight, thanks again!

Problem solved! I was plugging in the flirc to an old USB extender from a wireless Logitech keyboard so that I could place the d ice ice directly under the TV. Turns out that this extender was keeping what was preventing my PC from sleeping!

I plugged the flirc into a USB extender cable and it now sleeps and wakes perfectly!

Thank you all for your help! Think I might get another flirc now for my Raspberry Pi!

Problem solved! I was plugging in the flirc to an old USB extender from a wireless Logitech keyboard so that I could place the d ice ice directly under the TV. Turns out that this extender was keeping what was preventing my PC from sleeping!

I plugged the flirc into a USB extender cable and it now sleeps and wakes perfectly!

Thank you all for your help! Think I might get another flirc now for my Raspberry Pi!

Thanks so much for following up. I really appreciate it and am certainly surprised by the solution. Can I get a little bit more information bout the hardware that was preventing it from sleeping from logitech? Do you have a link?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for following up. I really appreciate it and am certainly surprised by the solution. Can I get a little bit more information bout the hardware that was preventing it from sleeping from logitech? Do you have a link?

Thanks again.

Thank YOU for your help and for offering this great product!

It is from an old Logitech MX5000 keyboard and mouse combo I bought some time ago. I don't have a link but when I get home I can take a look at it and get you some pictures/details about it. It's essentially a USB extender that came with the set.

Thanks again!

Thanks again.

Sorry Jason, not able to get much info off this extender, here's some pictures:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4291940/20150606_220458352_iOS.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4291940/20150606_220512499_iOS.jpg

If you want me to plug it and get you some additional info, let me know!

Sorry Jason, not able to get much info off this extender, here's some pictures:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4291940/20150606_220458352_iOS.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4291940/20150606_220512499_iOS.jpg

If you want me to plug it and get you some additional info, let me know!

This extender doesn't have any electronics for sure. I had at least two of those in the past and I've disassembled one of them to use the cable and the socket for my own needs.

Possible issue here is that the cables used by the Logitech in these extenders are really thin and prone to interference if not properly shielded. Is your PC grounded properly? The ground connection is connected to the shield of the USB port and connects to the cable shielding. If not grounded properly and thin enough the cable will act as an antenna catching different RF signals. Maybe that interference is what wakes up your PC.

This extender doesn't have any electronics for sure. I had at least two of those in the past and I've disassembled one of them to use the cable and the socket for my own needs.

Possible issue here is that the cables used by the Logitech in these extenders are really thin and prone to interference if not properly shielded. Is your PC grounded properly? The ground connection is connected to the shield of the USB port and connects to the cable shielding. If not grounded properly and thin enough the cable will act as an antenna catching different RF signals. Maybe that interference is what wakes up your PC.

I think you're definitely right, as always.

You may be right here. I tried replacing the Logitech extender with a sheilded USB extension cable in the same port and all is working well. Thanks for you help!

• 3 years later...