Flirc Forums

Getting my first Flirc and have a question

gec5741

I was just thinking of how I'm going to program my remote wit flirc for use with my plex setup.  I use plex home theater and would love to just be able to use my current Xfiity X1 remote to also control plex.  I don't really need a ton of mappings done but the basics will be nice.  now my question is if I program the "last" button on the flirc to say go back to the previouse screen.  Will the "last" button still work like it did before when using my remote with my cable box or will it stop working as it did for my cable box?  

Recording buttons from remote doesn't change how the remote works. If this is a remote for your other hardware you're still using then it'll still be recognized by the hardware. If you want fully separate control then you should use remote for a device you don't own or use a universal remote which has the ability to control multiple devices.

I was just thinking of trying to use my current X1 remote.  It's an XR5 v4 if your familure with those at all.  They are universal but my thought was this.  When watching normal TV the remote functions exactly as it normally would.  When switching to my htpc plex client I use the arrow buttons to navigate, center button to select movie, pause, stop ,rewind, FF etc.  Then switching back to normal cable TV all buttons function with my cable box as they would normally.  I can dig up a separate remote I suppose but I'd rather just use one remote so I'm hoping that works out.  Either way I'll figure it out once I get the device.  I'm excited to check this thing out!  Tired of having to grab a mini keyboard!

You need to remember that Flirc will always act upon receiving the signal if it's one for the already learned buttons. So if the HTPC with Flirc plugged in is powered on even when you just use the cable every time you use directional and OK keys your HTPC will also react.

I'm not familiar with the remote you have. But if it is an universal remote then you should be able to program it to control different devices. Does it have device select buttons to switch the device you want to control? Can it be programmed to control more than one device?

Yea I was thinking it may behave that way.  Probably same in the reverse.  If I'm on my httpc input through the tv and using the play, pause, arror buttons etc it may also be controlling the cable box at the same time behind the sceens.  Not sure if that's a big deal or not so I'll have to test it out.  I believe these remotes are universal and are programmable.  The cable guy programmed my living room one to control the volume on my onkyo receiver.  I'll just have to play around with it once I have the flirc.  I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow so when I get back I will figure it out.  Worse case I just get a inexpensive remote just for using with the htpc.  Thanks for the responses!

Edited by gec5741