Flirc Forums

Can Flirc RECORD IR signals instead of just turning them into keystrokes?

strantor

I want to control my devices not via a remote, but via a mobile app that I am developing. Some of my devices are network-ready, but for the others, my only option is IR and for those I'm thinking a network connected IR blaster. But my IR blaster cannot know what to blast unless I find a way to tell it. So I'm thinking I need to record signals from my existing remotes and have the blaster play back the recordings upon command. I'm wondering if the FLIRC can be my tool to do that. Can it RECORD a signal like I want? 

P.S. where's the python API promised on the homepage? I found the FLIRC github but nothing stuck out as a Python API; is buried somewhere in xbmc drivers or something?

Hi,

Unfortunately you can't record or retrieve original raw signal data with Flirc because it is not preserved. The original signal is reduced into an irreversible hash value which is then stored on the device.

As for the Python API, it is used in the XBMC/Kodi plugin but I don't think it can be considered a separate product right now. I know that the info on the homepage may misleading and I've reported it myself not that long ago.