Flirc Forums

FLIRC and Android Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo

eoinjones

Hi,

I bought and installed an Android double DIN car stereo. It has a touch screen and runs Android 4.1.1. The only drawback is that it has no IR receiver. It does have USB ports however. Has anyone tried receiving IR signals with FLIRC on an Android device? (I noticed that there is no FLIRC app for android so I am not sure whether it would work).

Cheers,

Eoin 

Edited by eoinjones

Hi,

First of all you don't need software for Flirc to work. The software is used for programming Flirc (recording buttons, changing settings etc). You can install software on your PC, program it there and then just plug it into whatever you want :).

You should first check if you can control the HU with a normal USB keyboard plugged into one of the USB ports. This is important because Flirc emulates an USB keyboard. If HU can be controlled with the keyboard then it should also work with Flirc. You should also look for AndroidTV threads here on the forum.

Other things to consider:

Inside of a car can become hot or very cold in different weather conditions and seasons. I don't know how much heat or cold can Flirc withstand. In winter you probably should somehow insulate the Flirc so there is no moisture in it because the water vapor in the air can condensate inside Flirc case and short the circuit.

• Like 1

I plugged in a USB keyboard today and it seemed to work. The keys for pause and skip worked but for some reason it didn't react to the volume keys - this may be a problem related to the specific model of keyboard though. Can FLIRC simulate the multimedia keys of a keyboard as well as the standard keys? If so, I think you have a new customer.

Yes, Flirc can send multimedia keys.

To be sure maybe get somewhere (maybe you can borrow from someone) another keyboard with volume keys and do another test. It is possible, that volume control in the HU may not be under Android control.