Flirc Forums

Flirc Does Not Connect

notme2000

Hello,

I just got my flirc today, downloaded the gui, and no USB port on either of my 2 machines work.  I plug the flirc in, it installs drivers (I see it saying installing flirc).  But when I open the GUI it says to connect flirc.  It is recognized in the device manager, but GUI still doesn't see it.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit, both machines.  USB 2.0 and 3.0.  Tried zadig.

I have managed to get my flirc working on my notebook. I updated it to the latest GUI version 1.3.6 as well as latest firmware 3.6.

Unfortunately on my main HTPC machine it was detected only once and afterwards the status in the GUI is always DISCONNECTED.

I am running Win7 64bit.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1. uninstalled and cleared the drivers numerous times.

2. manually installed the drivers according to troubleshoot article,

3. used zadig to reinstall the driver on interface 1.

The device is not visible in GUI no matter what I do.

I know it's working cause it works fine on other machine.

Any help or other suggestions would be apreciated...

I guess I will have to answer my own question, as I finally had managed to solve this issue without having to reinstall Windows.

Perhaps admins could add it to the troubleshooting guide as a potential solution for people with similar issue.

PROBLEM:

Device is connected to a USB port, is listed in system device manager, drivers are installed but GUI application reports status as being DISCONNECTED.

SOLUTIONS THAT FAILED:

1. uninstalled and cleared the drivers numerous times (via system device manager),
2. manually installed the drivers according to troubleshoot article (https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200984473-Manual-Driver-Installation
3. used ZADIG utility to reinstall the driver on interface 1 according to troubleshoot article, (https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200712548-Using-the-ZADIG-Utility)
4. switched to a different USB port using direct USB ports and using hubs,
5. updated mother board bios and drivers.

SOLUTION THAT WORKED
Since all above solutions failed and I was certain that the problem lies with the drivers, as the device was working fine on another Windows machine, I decided to make a deep driver cleaning as Windows tends to store a copy of drivers for each of the USB ports and devices you connect to your PC. Unfortunately removing the FLIRC device and drivers from the system device manager brought no result, something must have still reside in the system. So I decided to use a separate utility for driver cleaning. I used free open source utility called Ghostbuster, which basically performs a sweep of ghost devices which are no longer present in the system but have a copy of drivers referenced in the system registry. Below the step-by-step guide.

1. Download and install the free Ghostbuster utility: http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/releases/view/566397
2. Disconnect Flirc from your system, uninstall Flirc GUI application if you have it installed.
3. Launch Ghostbuster and let it scan your system. 
4. In the bottom status line you will see a list of your all devices and also ghost devices which are no longer present in the system.
(Just for your information my two year old Windows 7 installation reported approx. 1100 ghost devices (out of total list of 1400 devices)).
5. I decided to remove all ghost devices in my system but you may start with removing the ones that mention Flirc. However, be aware that Flirc in also installed in the section of HID compliant devices and not mentioned by a specific name in the list.
6. In order to remove all the ghost devices, select them using shift + left mouse button. Then right click on the list and use ADD DEVICE. (Note that the selection works automatically to all the devices in the specific category, but "valid" devices are automatically filtered out - so have no worries that you will remove a connected device).
7. Mark a checkbox in the bottom to create a system restore point (just in case something goes wrong) and then click the REMOVE GHOSTS button.
8. After the operation is completed, restart your system.
9. Now install the latest Flirc GUI software.
10. Connect your Flirc to a USB port of your choice and let the system install the drivers.
11. Launch the Flirc GUI application and hopefully the status will give you a smiley face and will read as CONNECTED :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I guess I will have to answer my own question, as I finally had managed to solve this issue without having to reinstall Windows.

Perhaps admins could add it to the troubleshooting guide as a potential solution for people with similar issue.

PROBLEM:

Device is connected to a USB port, is listed in system device manager, drivers are installed but GUI application reports status as being DISCONNECTED.

SOLUTIONS THAT FAILED:

1. uninstalled and cleared the drivers numerous times (via system device manager),
2. manually installed the drivers according to troubleshoot article (https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200984473-Manual-Driver-Installation
3. used ZADIG utility to reinstall the driver on interface 1 according to troubleshoot article, (https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200712548-Using-the-ZADIG-Utility)
4. switched to a different USB port using direct USB ports and using hubs,
5. updated mother board bios and drivers.

SOLUTION THAT WORKED
Since all above solutions failed and I was certain that the problem lies with the drivers, as the device was working fine on another Windows machine, I decided to make a deep driver cleaning as Windows tends to store a copy of drivers for each of the USB ports and devices you connect to your PC. Unfortunately removing the FLIRC device and drivers from the system device manager brought no result, something must have still reside in the system. So I decided to use a separate utility for driver cleaning. I used free open source utility called Ghostbuster, which basically performs a sweep of ghost devices which are no longer present in the system but have a copy of drivers referenced in the system registry. Below the step-by-step guide.

1. Download and install the free Ghostbuster utility: http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/releases/view/566397
2. Disconnect Flirc from your system, uninstall Flirc GUI application if you have it installed.
3. Launch Ghostbuster and let it scan your system. 
4. In the bottom status line you will see a list of your all devices and also ghost devices which are no longer present in the system.
(Just for your information my two year old Windows 7 installation reported approx. 1100 ghost devices (out of total list of 1400 devices)).
5. I decided to remove all ghost devices in my system but you may start with removing the ones that mention Flirc. However, be aware that Flirc in also installed in the section of HID compliant devices and not mentioned by a specific name in the list.
6. In order to remove all the ghost devices, select them using shift + left mouse button. Then right click on the list and use ADD DEVICE. (Note that the selection works automatically to all the devices in the specific category, but "valid" devices are automatically filtered out - so have no worries that you will remove a connected device).
7. Mark a checkbox in the bottom to create a system restore point (just in case something goes wrong) and then click the REMOVE GHOSTS button.
8. After the operation is completed, restart your system.
9. Now install the latest Flirc GUI software.
10. Connect your Flirc to a USB port of your choice and let the system install the drivers.
11. Launch the Flirc GUI application and hopefully the status will give you a smiley face and will read as CONNECTED :)

thanks for this. the hoops we have to jump through is amazing, but the detailed instructions are very apreciated.

Edit, removed ghosted devices (only had 25). drivers and software had been removed previously. resintalled and still not being recognized by the software. 

Lots of posts in the forums but this is the only one with a successful outcome.

Plugged it into my mac- worked out of the box. If anyone has any guidance (switching to linux sounds better by the day), Id welcome any advice/suggestions.

Edited by meatball

• 8 months later...

Tried this very detailed method on my fresh install Win 7 x64 sp1 with no luck... The program says connected, allows me to update firmware to the latest but no remote has any effect in the program. I don't have any 32bit systems in the house to test it on, only 64bit.

banging my head against the wall on this one.. :(