Flirc Forums

dual boot chromebox w/openelec

jimbojones

I have new asus chromebox m004u, hamony 650, logitech 830 keyboard

I ordered a flirc today and have read a few posts about issues getting to developer screen to run chrome.  The logitech 830 does do ctrl-d and works to get in to chrome os problem is the only way back to openelec is to shutdown SINCE THERE APPARENTLY IS NO RESTART ON A CHROMEBOX!!!!!!!!!!!...DIRECTED AT GOOGLE.

1. can flirq learn the ctrl-d from the logitech to boot to chrome os?  If not I can live with using the keyboard.

2.  can flirq somehow start the chromebox from being off...ie boot up NOT wake up.  I know the chrome keyboards come with a power on button that will start the chromebox and I could "borrow" one if I needed to ...would that be a way???..have flirq learn the chrome keyboard boot up command.  My chromebox is in a closet with all the other equipment so the only way I have been able to start it and get from chrome back to openelec is to shutdown then walk down the stairs to the basement and push the button on the side of the unit to power it back up.

OR better yet this is only to go form chrome back to openelec...is there a keybopard commind to go back htat I missed?

any help appreciated?

Edited by jimbojones

1. Unfortunately No.

2. Unfortunately No.

re: OR

If there is a way to reboot the box from within Chrome OS, I am equally unaware of it. There is, however, a way that's slightly better than having to go down to the basement and push a button.

Any time in Chrome OS:

[CTRL]+[ALT]+[F2]

login with "chronos"

at the prompt> sudo reboot

[Edit]

Found this: 4. Restart in the blink of an eye. Sometimes Chrome OS gets bogged down after hours of use with multiple tabs opened and closed. The fastest way to get moving again is a restart, and the fastest way to restart is to hold down the Refresh and Power keyboard buttons simultaneously. Chrome OS will quickly shut and reboot, freeing up the frozen cogs of your Chromebook.

Source: https://gigaom.com/2014/02/21/10-chromebook-tips-chromeboxes-chrome-os/

Is for Chromebooks, but maybe see if you can find the according keys?

Edited by DocG
  • Like 1

Thanks for the sudo reboot. That is a good work around.

I was aware of the "chrome" specific keyboards and their ability to reboot as being the only other way besides pushing the button on the chromebox itself.  So this keyboard is sending out something to something??? and this signal is the solution.

I believe I read somewhere a harmony can learn an ir signal from another device so maybe the harmony could copy this signal?

Can the flirq copy this signal?

EDIT>>>

If you read all the comments in the gigacom thread they mention the refresh and power force reboot might corrupt local storage.  I believe you can just long hold down the power key on the chrome keyboard and actually safely reboot.

Hi,

Unless someone actually hooks up the the Chrome keyboard to a normal PC with some USB capture/analysis software installed and analyze what exactly the keyboard sends to the ChromeBox/Book there is not much we can do. Also Flirc doesn't support sending two keys simultaneously unless one of them is a modifier key (shift, ctrl, alt, win). There is a possibility that the Chrome keyboard actually doesn't send the two keys to the host system but the keyboard controller recognizes the key combination and sends something totally different to the host (still, not much can be done without analyzing USB traffic).

BTW it's Flirc, not flirq :).