Flirc Forums

MCE remote support?

valnar

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for bringing up a topic that has already been discussed, but being a new FLIRC user, I don't know the current state of the issue as of today in February 2015.

I purchased two FLIRC's.  I have them now.  I have on order two MCE remotes from Amazon because I liked their layout, slim size and profile.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GGX4XVW/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

I will probably throw away the IR sensors in favor of FLIRC.

So while I'm waiting for the remotes to show up, I found this: http://kodi.tv/flirc-a-new-old-way-to-control-xbmc/

There is mention of an issue with 56Khz ranges and the FLIRC.  Is this still a problem? How would I know if my particular MCE remote supported that funky range?  And can FLIRC still work with them?

If the answer to any of that is NO, I'd like to return the Amazon package before I open it.

And lastly, if MCE remotes are indeed problematic, is there a recommended alternative that works with FLIRC?

Hi,

The "56 kHz problem" is a hardware problem, not software one. The IR receiver is tuned to 38 kHz and works best with frequencies around that one (36 - 40 kHz should work very well).

I think the only way to find out if specific remotes are using 56 kHz is to search for this specific model specifications or ask on forums that deal with MCE specifically.

• 4 months later...

I too use these remotes and LOVE the layout. They work well on all my systems but will not work with flirc. I just purchased a flirc for use on a RPi2 but you CANNOT use any remote on any meadia center (as advertised). It has proved a total waste of time and money so far and I am very disappointed in this product.