Flirc Forums

CHECK HERE before posting an issue

Chris!

Sorry for the stern title but I thought it would easier and quicker if issues and solutions were compiled in a thread for rapid resolution.

I will try and update this sticky as more topics come to light.

Sometimes i'll accidentally miss or forget to add an issue to this thread, please PM me if this is case - i'll really appreciate it

This Thread could add to the FAQ in the future should Jason feel the need.

Contents

• (including universal remotes)

• Like 1

Issues with Microsoft MCE and MCE keyboard configured remotes (including universal remotes)

Symptoms (all or one)

1. When Programming FLIRC message of 'Button already exists' even though a different keyboard button is being programmed by a different remote control press

2. Having to press a key on the remote twice to send a command

3. Programming FLIRC issues when a different USB port is used from when it was originally programmed

Cause (to each of the symptoms above)

1. This remote profile is a microsoft protocol that uses a non-standard frequency. Flirc can work with it, but it's not the best
  2. The remote sends out a unique key code every other consecutive key press, for the same physical button.
  3. Probably one of those microsoft remotes that use the non standard frequency, 56kHz. 38kHz is the frequency most remotes use, which is the center frequency for flirc.
    Tricks have been played to get flirc to work at 56kHz, the placement from the front of the computer, to the back of the computer, will actually have slightly different frequency drifts, changing the unique pattern associated with a button.

Solution

(Remedy for all issues) Try another device setting; sony, samsung, boxee, plex. It won't matter which one you choose as you'll be programming flirc what each button does.

other possible solutions:

- (For issue 1) The quick remedy to this is to record each button twice, and "catch" each unique key code for every button.

- (For issue 2) The flirc command line has an option called sensitivity. You can try lowering this number

Apple remote - long press

Symptoms

• Inability to use long press at all (useful for fast forwarding or scrolling through a list)

Cause

• Flirc doesn't yet support long presses - though it is planned.
    • Solution

Wait for long press support firmware

(or test the beta version now:

)

Thanks to forum user goolong

• 2 months later...

Multi-remote (non-harmony)

Symptoms

• Only some keys work with FLIRC

Cause

• We're not sure, if you have this issue please let us know what profile your remote is programmed with (when trying to use FLIRC) so Jason can get more remotes support by FLIRC.
    • Solution

Try and find the manuel for your remote (google-ing it is often the best solution) and try a TV profile to control FLIRC (such as Samsung/Sony/Panasonic etc)

Thanks to forum user Ridger111

FLIRC suddenly stopped working

Symptoms

• After a computer crash (including hard-reset) FLIRC no longer functions as it did before
    ()

Cause

• FLIRC may have got corrupted.
    • Solution

Try uploading the firmware again (http://blog.flirc.tv/?page_id=46) if this doesn't work please start a new forum thread.

Thanks to forum user forensic6

Video jumpy and stuttery

Symptoms

• When Flirc is plugged in the video goes jumpy and starts to skip

Cause

• USB port isn't giving enough power to Flirc and this is causing issues in the OS presumably
    • Solution

Try another USB port.

Thanks to forum user PEDRORADIO

Flirc records key before remote key is pressed

Symptoms

• When Flirc is being programmed the gui reports the key recorded before ay remote button is pressed

Cause

• Flirc is designed to be sensitive, when programming unusual sources of I/R emissions can affect programming
    • Solution

Try and eliminate factors that maybe causing interference - once programmed the problem won't be present (as you won't be programming it anymore).

Unusual sources of interference include Optical mice, MagSafe power adapter (on mac laptops) and certain lights. Changing computers and rooms can also help

Thanks to forum user meschaefer

• 5 months later...