Flirc Forums

Where is the power on/off functionality in Flirc-SE?

Shad0w

Hi,

A couple of months ago I bought a Flirc-SE for the added functionality of powering on and off my HTPC. While I believe the feature should have been available by the time of purchase, I have waited patiently for a firmware update (not beta fw), which should add this functionality. However, as it appears it is not yet available, I kindly ask what the timeframe is?

I know the feature is there in beta firmware, but I am not happy about having to use potentially buggy/unstable firmware, or even risking to brick the unit, just to get a feature I paid for :(

I know it is tough to do this as a free-time job for 1 guy, but I feel like this product shouldn't have been released until it was more ready.

If, for some reason I overlooked the inclusion of this feature, I am sorry. I am running firmware 3.3, but when forcing FW update through the GUI, it tells me that 3.3 is the latest firmware version.

I believe it's a great product, but I'm getting frustrated by the lack of this advertised feature.

Hi,

A couple of months ago I bought a Flirc-SE for the added functionality of powering on and off my HTPC. While I believe the feature should have been available by the time of purchase, I have waited patiently for a firmware update (not beta fw), which should add this functionality. However, as it appears it is not yet available, I kindly ask what the timeframe is?

I know the feature is there in beta firmware, but I am not happy about having to use potentially buggy/unstable firmware, or even risking to brick the unit, just to get a feature I paid for :(

I know it is tough to do this as a free-time job for 1 guy, but I feel like this product shouldn't have been released until it was more ready.

If, for some reason I overlooked the inclusion of this feature, I am sorry. I am running firmware 3.3, but when forcing FW update through the GUI, it tells me that 3.3 is the latest firmware version.

I believe it's a great product, but I'm getting frustrated by the lack of this advertised feature.

I understand your frustration. Believe me, I'm just as frustrated in never having enough time.

I have however pushed a release to address this, it is in by no means beta. It is a release candidate. I have not made it public because I have promised other features and fixes. You can find it here:

You'll need the commandline and if you want me to walk you through it today, I'm happy to do so. You can find me on gchat or skype, username jasonkotzin

Hi,

The power on feature is already included in 3.5 firmware, which is embedded in Flirc software version 1.3.4. This version is already available to download from main website. This version enables the motherboard power button connection support when PC is powered off, but disables it when PC is on, so you can't use the same button to power off.

The 1.3.5 rc.2 version of the software which is available on "beta" forum contains firmware version 3.6 which also allow the power off to work properly - it uses the motherboard power button so you need to configure your system to shutdown or suspend when the power button is pressed depending on what you want. It won't brick your Flirc.

The force firmware option doesn't automatically check for new firmware online. It flashes the one which is included in the installed version of the software.

Thanks a lot guys.

I understand you are having a hard time finding the time, and my post wasn't meant as a critique. I wasn't aware that I had to download the GUI to get the latest firmware, thought it checked online - that's my bad, sorry about that.

The good thing is that it's working perfectly now, so big thumbs up! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to bump a month-old thread but I also cannot get my Flirc-SE to power on from S5 state.  I believe I am running the latest firmware (1.3.6?).  The PC is running windows 7 and windows media centre.  I am using a harmony remote.  Did I read correctly there is something I need to do on the command line to enable this functionality? thanks.

Thanks for the fast response, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me... I can use flirc_util to record the command, but it still will not power up from S5.  I know the flirc is receiving power in S5 because I have run a 5V line direct from the psu and confirmed with a multimeter.  I have tried a microsoft RC6 compatible remote as well as my harmony but it is not working.

Can you save your Flirc config to a file and upload it here? I don't know if the forum upload is fixed now so if you can't upload it here then put it on Dropbox or somewhere else that allows to share a file and paste a link here.

• 3 months later...

This version enables the motherboard power button connection support when PC is powered off, but disables it when PC is on, so you can't use the same button to power off.

How is the Flirc-SE able to detect the PC's power state? Is it trying to communicate with the OS and if that fails it'll consider the PC to be off?

Is this the same as the Sleep Detection setting?

Is it possible to send discrete/independent power off and power on commands to the Flirc-SE or can you only do a power toggle?

Basically, what I'm getting at is the possibility of something like a Logitech Harmony macro/sequence accidentally turning the HTPC off instead of on (or vice versa) when there's only a toggle and no separate commands for on and off.

Thanks!

AFAIK it is only a toggle and there is no power state detection involved at the moment. I've made a suggestion some time ago to also add discrete on and off buttons with power state detection but it's not implemented yet and I don't think it will be any time soon.