Flirc Forums

Flirc, iMac, OSX and Plex Home Theater - how do I choose to only feed PHT?

JonSF

Hi All,

I'm missing something...

So I have Plex Home Theater running on my iMac, and I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable running to my TV.

I ordered a Flirc and a USB extension cable to put Flirc under my TV. I plan to program my Marantz remote to control PHT from my couch. All good.

However, how will I tell Flirc WHAT program to use? I mean, I use my iMac for lots of stuff... Can I tell Flirc to feed the remote keypresses to PHT only, and not say... iTunes?

- Thanx

- Jon

Best way to understand the strength and weaknesses of Flirc is to understand how it appears to the computer as a regular usb keyboard.

You could always not press the remote when you are using iTunes. Could you describe your usage scenario a bit more and how flirc isn't fitting in?

Hi there. Yes, I understand what you are saying - my remote keypresses will be translated as a USB keyboard to my iMac...

My iMac is NOT dedicated to JUST use Plex Home Theater. I use it for all kinds of stuff.

I have my TV set up as a 2nd monitor using my Thunderbolt port to HDMI. If I go to use PHT on my TV, how does my iMac know where to feed those USB keyboard inputs to? Do those inputs just go to the selected program? Like, if I'm in iTunes, my remote would control iTunes; if I'm in Plex Home Theater, those remote inputs would be sent to Plex Home Theater?

Get what I'm saying?

- Thanx

- Jon

Maybe what I'm asking is how to tell my iMac to send those Flirc related commands to PHT and no where else?

Does this make sense? If I left my iMac in Safari, for example, and then I sit on my couch and want to use Plex Home Theater, my remote keypresses would be sent to Safari, right?

- Thanx

- Jon

If I left my iMac in Safari, for example, and then I sit on my couch and want to use Plex Home Theater, my remote keypresses would be sent to Safari, right?

Correct.

However you could assign a button on your remote to open the plex app

You would have to figure out how to open plex using a keyboard combination.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph13916

e.g. tell mac that when you press ctrl+p to open plex app

then assign a remote button to ctrl+p using the Flirc GUI

Does this help?

I think that the best way of describing what can flirc do and what can't is to check what you can or can't do with you keyboard. Where does the key press goes when you press the key on the keyboard? Usually it is the app which is currently in focus. There can be some exceptions like the media keys where presses usually go to some kind of player even if the player is in background.