Flirc Forums

wake up pc from S3/S4

Marcus

Sorry, not sure how to answer your question. However I want to jump on this thread to ask Jason/Yawor/anyone else about a helpdesk article about Wake that I've marked as out of date as it mentioned some old releases of Flirc.

How applicable is this still? https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200904676--Out-of-date-Getting-flirc-to-wake-up-your-computer

Starting with some early 3.x firmware version any recorded button should wake the PC from S3 or S4 if those points are all true:

1. Suspend detection is enabled in the advanced settings

2. Windows power management settings are set to allow waking the system from the keyboard (can be set in device manager for specific keyboard and mouse devices)

3. No button is recorded to the wake key in flirc (if it is then only that button will wake the PC).

There is no possibility to assign a wake key to button that is already assigned to a different keyboard key.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the first two points, but I would like to ask you a little more on the third one, becouse I'm totally new to Flirc: what do you mean by "No button is recorded to the wake key in flirc"? If I would like to wake up the PC from S3 or S4 mode, using for example the "MENU" button of the Apple remote, I suppose I should record that button IR code (inside the Flirc configuration software) in order Flirc can wake up the PC when that IR code is listened, right? maybe the "No button" was intended for "That specific button"? sorry but is not clear to me

You can threat it like 2 different wake modes. If no button is recorded for wake function at all then all the buttons that are recorded for any key in flirc will wake the PC. On the other hand if you record some button for wake key the only this button will wake the PC. But you need to remember that the button recorded for wake can't be used as a different key, so if you record you menu button to act as a wake then you won't be able to use it in any other way (for example to open a menu).

I live in Spain and I see in the cart that if not in US I have to pourchase from a reseller: the cheaper one is ModMyPi with 40,5€ but I see now that it's also possible to specify Spain in your store and, with the "USPS Flat Rate International" total is 29,5$ (more or less 24€) that is definitely cheaper than ModMyPi and PiSupply. My questions are: it's possible to buy from your shop having the direct delivery to Spain? How many days with "USPS Flat Rate International" (becouse it's not specified)? I have to buy many Flirc, so the cost difference could be important. Many thanks.

I don't know what tax laws are in the Spain but you may need to pay import tax and/or vat when buying something outside of EU. I know that small purchases often are exempted from extra taxes but if you buy a greater number of devices at once (or in a short period of time) you may not be so lucky. At least this is how things look in Poland which is also in EU. So check your tax and import laws before buying to be sure it's still better option than buying from an European shop.

As for the purchase I think you can try contacting Jason (via PM or email - it is on his profile page here on forum).

Modmypi/the pi hut should be easier as it's based in the EU so has free trade of goods (you shouldn't be taxed). They're good as well.

There is a good chance you would get charged tax if Jason sent it from US (even if it were just one Flirc), the more flircs you buy the more you will be taxed.

Also if it's sent from Jason then it's going to take weeks to arrive.