Flirc Forums

New FLIRC user - Upgrade (?) 3.5 has not gone well

ijourneaux

Where abouts in the world do you live?

I wonder if your flirc is just defective in someway - we had a thread a few years ago where nothing was making it work, then we tried a different device and it was fine. Though the circumstances maybe different, I'll get Jason involved

I am in the US (Wisconsin)

I recorded the button presses on my desktop PC (no plasma). They recorded find and reproduced the correct keypresses  when the buttons were pressed. it seemed to be reliable.

I took the config file up to my HTPC (with a plasma TV) (not sure if the config file is required). The button presses were unreliably detected. If I shielded the FLIRC so that all it could see was the remote then it seemed that the button presses were reliably detected. 

Is there a way to filter the IR noise?

I have a generally working solution with the Rosewill IR detector (but it won't wake the computer) so it is easy to try things. IF you or Jason, thinks there is something I should try. I am all ears.

Ian

Is there a way to filter the IR noise?

You can try hiding Flirc behind the TV so it won't directly "see" the IR noise from the plasma screen. It is sensitive enough to receive signal from remote even behind the TV (actually it may depend on the wall/surface behind the TV because it needs to reflect the IR signal).

When recording buttons (on the desktop PC), try not to point the remote directly at Flirc if the distance from the remote to the Flirc is small. Try to record from larger distance or point the remote in different direction (for example on the ceiling) so the signal takes greater distance by bouncing from the wall or ceiling. This prevents the situation in which Flirc received too strong signal and the value it saves into config is incorrect.

Also you don't need to move config file between PC and HTPC. You don't even need the Flirc software on HTPC. Just unplug Flirc from HTPC, plug it in PC and record all you need there. Then just plug it back into HTPC and that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian 

Did it work?

I have exactly the same issue:  old MCE remote (Acer RC6) that i try to make work on WIn7 HTPC - when i first install the GUI and first tried to configure the remote everything seemed to work fine - I think i remember it was v.3.1 - then i upgraded the FW to 3.5 as I thought it would give a config that would show the WMC button ( I didn't know much a week ago) - and since then impossible to record full config without having up and down mixed up - you record 'up' and in fact  both up and down presses send signal to 'up' , or I record 2 and then when pressing '2' or '3' it will mark 2 on Media center TV

i've tried to delete config, uninstall / reinstall driver , uninstall /reinstall GUI,  tried desperately to find FW 3.1 that I know worked at the beginning

I was going crazy until I found this post...

I will try to config remote on my laptop and see what it does once flirc plugged into the HTPC

Nikkson

• Like 1

i've tried to delete config, uninstall / reinstall driver , uninstall /reinstall GUI,  tried desperately to find FW 3.1 that I know worked at the beginning

Hi Nikkson,

If you still have trouble after trying to program on your laptop, try contacting Jason for the older firmware: http://flirc.tv/contact/

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1