Flirc Forums

Does both devices react to a key press on the remote?

jonascj

Hi

I have a general question about how Flirc works.

If I added a Flirc IR receiver to my HTPC and "set it up" with my TV remote control, will both my HTPC and TV react to key presses on the TV remote control? If I for example map volume up, on the TV remote, to some action/key kombination in the Flirc GUI, will both the HTPC and TV receive the key press? If yes, how to deal with that? I don't want both my TV and my HTPC to increase volume.

/ Jonas

It's not really a good idea to use a remote with Flirc that's dedicated for some other hardware you have, especially when both (Flirc and the device) can receive the signal at the same time, unless the remote has some universal remote capability. For example some remotes for DVD or Bluray players can be set to also control the TV. If you really want to control both TV and computer with Flirc with a single remote then I strongly recommend buying some universal remote. There are many cool and really configurable remotes out there (check out the Logitech Harmony or OneForAll remotes).

It's not really a good idea to use a remote with Flirc that's dedicated for some other hardware you have, especially when both (Flirc and the device) can receive the signal at the same time, unless the remote has some universal remote capability. For example some remotes for DVD or Bluray players can be set to also control the TV. If you really want to control both TV and computer with Flirc with a single remote then I strongly recommend buying some universal remote. There are many cool and really configurable remotes out there (check out the Logitech Harmony or OneForAll remotes).

What do you mean by "universal remote capabilities"? Buttons labled DVD, TV, AV, etc. which switch between which piece of equipment is being controlled? 

Volume keys usually only control the tv, so you shouldn't pair those. Menu keys also really only work when in a menu setting for the TV, but yes, as cokeman said, anytime two receivers are present, they will both respond.

If you have two devices within ir sight of the remote set to do an action based on the same key press they will both react as they are programmed. You don't have to record volume if it is controlled by TV or you can teach flirc with unused remote or unused buttons

Okay, so it is as I thought, that both pieces of equipment (TV and HTPC) would respond. Unused keys can of course be used.

What do you mean by "universal remote capabilities"? Buttons labled DVD, TV, AV, etc. which switch between which piece of equipment is being controlled? 

Yes. You should also be able to setup a specific device manufacturer/model in some way to those buttons (by using setup codes or by connecting remote to a PC depending on a remote model).

Yes. You should also be able to setup a specific device manufacturer/model in some way to those buttons (by using setup codes or by connecting remote to a PC depending on a remote model).

So that fits with Flirc being part of a scheme/strategy to use one remote TV, HTPC and Stereo/HIFI. Because that is the reason for using Flirc compared to some other pair of IR receiver and remote, isn't it? To be able to use whatever great universal remote you have with Flirc (and the device hosting the Flirc receiver)?

It all depends on personal needs. One person likes to use multiple remotes, but another likes to use a single one. If you can use multiple remotes then find a remote for a hardware you don't have (or don't use anymore) that won't interfere with your current hardware and pair it with the Flirc. If you want to use a single remote then either use keys unused by your hardware (like TV, DVR etc) on a original dedicated remote or use an universal one that can handle all your hardware and Flirc. Personally I like the last option.

I have a OneForAll Simple 4 remote (URC-6440) which can be configured by connecting it to a PC using USB cable. You can then use official http://simpleset.com/ website (you upload remote's config there) or you can use RemoteMaster software created by community on http://hifi-remote.com/forums/.

On the other hand Logitech Harmony are probably the most popular remotes on this forum.

I have a harmony and that one remote can control all of my Home theater equipment.  It wasn't able to control the fire TV before the Flirc though.  If I had bought a wmc remote that may have worked, but it could have interfered with my xbox which uses similar commands.  The benefit of the Flirc is it's flexibility.  When paired with a Harmony or other universal remote you have added flexibility in one control device.  With a universal (or extra nonconflicting) remote and the Flirc you an pretty much configure your setup however you like.  Harmony and URC are excellent for ease of use and "macros", but even a budget $9 universal remote could get similar effects depending on your setup and goals.

Is there a particular goal you have in mind?  We may be able to help you with that, but a TV will always respond to it's own remote.  That's one part of the equation you can't really change without completely covering the TV's IR port.