Flirc Forums

Harmony Touch laggy in Kodi (XBMC)

Cavy

I've had the remote for about a week now and FLIRC for about 4 days. I've setup all my commands in FLIRC and in EventGhost they all work perfectly fine. My problem is the amount of lag in Kodi. For instance if I press the right arrow button it will take about 1 or 2 seconds to respond on screen. I'm about 7 feet away from the FLIRC dongle and its directly in front of me so I know its not an interference error. I have Inter-key and Inter-Device on my Harmony both set to 0 and Inter-key on FLIRC set to 0 as well. I have tried the advancedconfig.xml in Kodi to fix the lag but with no luck. FLIRC firmware is 3.3 and Harmony firmware is up to date as well. Any fix for this?

Edited by Cavy

Have you tried using flirc on another device without eventghost to check if it is a Flirc issue?

Yes, I've tried on my laptop with Kodi without the use of eventghost or even FLIRC software installed. It's still laggy, though I would say its slightly less laggy but not by much or even by an amount that makes it more usable. 

How odd.

What do you have your harmony remote programmed as?

Can you try clearing the configuration and forcing a firmware update just in case something has got corrupted

I have my Harmony programmed as > FLIRC > XMBC. Also tried deleting the device and re-adding it. I did the force firmware update a couple days ago with FLIRC, not sure what the old firmware was but its been updated to 3.3, Harmony is on 3.12.9 and up to date. 

I'm going to respond here so others can benefit. Thank you Chris for bringing this to my attention.

It can only be one of two things, the computer, or the remote. Flirc doesn't introduce any delays. 

Because you have a harmony, I'm going to point my finger at that. Go into your settings, and troubleshoot the specific remote. There is something that says 'device takes too long to respond' or something like that.

If the problem is between successive presses, there is a delay, there isn't anything we can do about that if this is a harmony one or below. Harmony screwed this up and we can't fix it. There are countless threads on it, and I even talked to them directly. I don't use my own because of it, it's nonsense.

I'm going to respond here so others can benefit. Thank you Chris for bringing this to my attention.

It can only be one of two things, the computer, or the remote. Flirc doesn't introduce any delays. 

Because you have a harmony, I'm going to point my finger at that. Go into your settings, and troubleshoot the specific remote. There is something that says 'device takes too long to respond' or something like that.

If the problem is between successive presses, there is a delay, there isn't anything we can do about that if this is a harmony one or below. Harmony screwed this up and we can't fix it. There are countless threads on it, and I even talked to them directly. I don't use my own because of it, it's nonsense.

Thank you for the reply. Definitely not the answer I was hoping for since I really like the layout and feel of the Harmony but its the situation that I'm in regardless and will have to deal with the lag. Hopefully Harmony will get it together and fix this issue with a software update or a better put together device in the future. Thank you again for your input and have a nice day!

let's prove it's the remote, you have any other crappy remote you can try pairing with flirc?

Well you were right. I paired my Vizio remote for my TV and there was no lag whatsoever. Still I dont know why there's no lag with any other devices other than FLIRC. Either way I know that its the remote. I will email Harmony and see if they know of anything or maybe its a bad unit. Doubtful but worth a shot I guess. 

There might very well be a setting in the harmony software to fix this. Which harmony do you have?

I have the Harmony Touch, I've set all the delays for FLIRC to 0 with no luck yet. After browsing the Harmony forums this seems to be quite an issue for many users. I used my camera on my phone to be able to see the IR transmissions per key press and they seem almost instant, which confuses me even more.

• 3 months later...

And here it is: https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203081659

(Smell the freshness ;) )

Just confirmed this myself with another remote, the Harmony delay is painfully clunky and unresponsive.

My comment from elsewhere with video footage of the delay with the Harmony Touch but not from anything else. Must be a logitech issue. On a side note it is a bit laggy controlling my TV volume also, such a shame, it is a deal-breaker for me as the lag really annoys me.

OK it has sufficiently annoyed me enough that I uploaded a video of it in action, there is a significant delay when pressing any key with the Harmony Touch in Kodi using a FLIRC, very unresponsive, even with all the delay settings on the Touch set to Low or Zero. Also it is very clunky.

[2]

For reference I connected a blue-tooth keyboard which is instantaneous and instantly responsive to any key presses. I have programmed a spare Samsung remote with the FLIRC and it is just as responsive as the Blue-tooth keyboard so probably not the FLIRC.

Anyone experiencing this?

Edit: Should probably mention I have recently obtasined a Flirc and Harmony Touch, I reset the Touch back to factory and re-synced it a few times, updated the Flirc firmware.

In my personal opinion the Harmony hardware is simply not strong enough to support their firmware/software fast enough or the firmware/software is not very well optimized. I've resigned from buying one and went with OFA Simple 4 (URC-6440). It's not as advanced as most Harmony remotes but it offers good amount of options for the price and it also has backlit keys.