Flirc Forums

Keyboard Azerty pb

linus

Hello, i have got pb to configure the key from the interface.

The keyboard is in qwerty, that would not be a problem normaly, but there, when i choose "m" from the keyboard on the gui (so in qwerty), it do a "," when i press and not a m has have choosen. 

DO you have any idea?

It's like when you use a qwerty keyboard with an azerty configuration. Could you had the design for azerty keyboard?

Edited by linus

Hi,

Read this thread  I've tried to describe there how to do this in details.

But a quick answer is, if you use Flirc GUI, don't look at which symbol is on the key but the actual key position on the keyboard. So if you have letter A where there is a letter Q in QWERTY layout and you want to record a remote button for letter A, you need to record a button for Q, not A. So you look on your hardware keyboard how to get something you want and you record for this combination of keys (not symbols) in the GUI.

Hello, thank's that what i have done yesterday and it works, but it's not enouth because it lack some key.

For exemple in azerty keyboard, "m" is after "l" so i have done that and it works. But after "m" you have got two key "ù" and "*" that you do not have in your representation.  (if i am not wrong)

It's not possible to add an azerty representation?  :)

I fact for me for the moment i succed to do like you says but, for a commercial product it's a bad point. ;)

Edited by linus

You should be able to map any button. Just look at physical layout of the keys: which row and which key in a row (counting from left or right).

If the M key on AZERTY is a semicolon ";" on US QUERTY, then the "ù" key on AZERTY is a single/double quote key on US QWERTY. European layouts are little different as the enter key is narrow and takes two rows. Because of that one key (backslash "\") is moved from above enter to between enter and single/double quote on European QWERTY keyboards (like Polish QWERTY keyboard). You should be able to map "*" on AZERTY by mapping the backslash key "\" (that above enter key) in GUI.

I think that multi-layout support in GUI is doable but it's a lot of work and Jason is a single person who does it all. I think that right now the keyboard view is all graphical, so different layouts would require different graphic representations and that would make the app big really fast. Or maybe other layouts could use a simpler view of the keyboard with symbol layouts overlayed on top of the flat and empty key graphics. That way layouts could be defined as text files (ini or some other config forms) and not take so much space.

In fact, if graphical key, is too much work, why don't you do the inverse?

Ask to press a keyboard key (from the real keyboard) and then press a remote key?

You will have all the possibility. :) 

In fact, the problem is that nothing says for the customer that for non qwerty keyboard it could be difficult.  (it was not for me, but if you want to touch all the people even "newbe" it's a big point).

And this point should be mentionnend before buying it.
As i said, it's not this point that lock me, i am ok with Flirc, i succed to do what i wan t but some could be disapointed if they where thinking that would be easy.

In fact, if graphical key, is too much work, why don't you do the inverse?

Ask to press a keyboard key (from the real keyboard) and then press a remote key?

You will have all the possibility. :)

The problem here is that Windows hides raw HID codes from the apps in the system and translates them to keyboard scan codes itself. So applications really don't know what physical key has been pressed on the keyboard as it already went through key map selected in the system. Flirc stores and sends raw HID codes to the USB host so it needs to know them, not the keyboard scan codes. So at least on Windows it can't work the way you described. I don't know if it could be done on Linux or Mac, but changes are it could be possible at least on Linux. But "newbes" usually use Windows or OS X as their OS.

In fact, the problem is that nothing says for the customer that for non qwerty keyboard it could be difficult.  (it was not for me, but if you want to touch all the people even "newbe" it's a big point).

And this point should be mentionnend before buying it.

As i said, it's not this point that lock me, i am ok with Flirc, i succed to do what i wan t but some could be disapointed if they where thinking that would be easy.

I agree that this should be mentioned in the product description in every shop selling Flirc. Chris! started a thread asking people to write down what problems they've bumped into when they started using Flirc and the hope is this will lead to better documentation. You can help yourself here 

Just remember that the thread I've mentioned is not for reporting bugs but rather to let us know how can we make the documentation better. Reporting a bug there won't help with documentation :). You should report bugs in the Bugs forum (or Development forum if it's in beta firmware/software).