Flirc Forums

Basic (read: dumb) questions

Amadeus

Hi there,

I've just come across Flirc (I don't actually remember how now, but that's the Internet for you!). It could be exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a Mac Mini (2011) running XBMC and am using an Apple remote. The Mac will hibernate and cannot be woken other than pressing a key on the keyboard (which I have plugged in for exactly this purpose, tho I'd much rather not have it attached; I use a remote desktop connection from my MBP if I want to do anything on the Mac). I see that there is a beta version of firmware which should allow for this to work but I'm a little confused as to the features in the firmware. I watch films that have subtitles so I need the long-press functionality as well. Is there any firmware with both these features (I don't mind waiting if it's in progress)?

With my Mac Mini, USB devices plug into the back of the device. Will it work or will I need to turn the Mac round so that I can see the Flirc from my sofa (and hence, Apple remote) or will that prevent the normal operations from working if the IR sensor is on the front of the Mac?

The only thing I need Flirc to do for me is to do the wake-up. Will I need to map the whole sequence of keys for XBMC or can I just do something for the waking? Is it possible to have context to the wake - I mean, the only time Flirc needs to do anything is when the device is asleep, once it's awake, the remote has no spare keys that I could assign to the wake sequence.

Is it possible to have a place on the forum/site where users could download configurations created by other users?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm based in the UK so postage for the device adds quite a lot to the cost so I want to make sure it do (either now or in the future) what I'm looking for before I buy.

As an aside, I'm very impressed with what Jason has created. The whole mentality - the enthusiasm, the functionality and responsiveness seems to fit in very well with XBMC. What a giver (that that's aside from the monetary donations to his chosen charity).

Rgds

Welcome to the forums Amadeus,

Yep, new features are being worked on. However Jason has a full-time job as well as this project (of which he is the only one coding for) so progress may appear slower than other larger projects.

Your Questions:

1) Waking up your mac from hibernate using Flirc and the beta firmware

At the moment the beta firmware associates a button with the command to wake up the machine. This command cannot be used for another function (only wakes the device). I believe this is planned to be changed so perhaps any button could wake the machine up/the wake button would have another user defined function

Also it is destined to come out of beta when tested and ready.

2) Will Flirc work facing away from the remote control (i.e. in the back of a computer)

Whilst Flirc does have great reception (largely due to Jason's intentional choice of materials and design), I/R is line of sight so given that you may be sat a fair distance away from the box also, this combination may hinder usability. You could turn your macmini around or buy a small USB extender cable.

3)Is it possible to have a place on the forum/site where users could download configurations created by other users

Users can share profiles in the forum - I would suggest doing this in the "remote controls" section: http://forum.flirc.t...emote-controls/

4) Sorry for so many questions but I'm based in the UK so postage for the device adds quite a lot to the cost so I want to make sure it do (either now or in the future) what I'm looking for before I buy

No problem. I live in the UK too

Hey There -

Edit ** I can't believe you beat me to this Chris, I was typing a reply when I saw yours. I'm going to continue with the reply as well just to make sure everything is covered. **

Never hesitate to ask as my questions as possible. It helps everyone that comes to visit. Just let me know if I've missed anything.

Yes, you can definitely face this towards the wall. Mine is in my mac mini, and behind my television, pointed at the wall. It picks up everything without a problem. I even made the case clear because I didn't like the compromise I had to make for the sensitivity when going with any other color. But as Chris pointed out, there are limitations inherent in the 'line of site' model. I don't think you will have any problem.

As Chris pointed out, the wake from sleep will probably work. However, I'm working on a brand new implementation that will probably do the trick. You can follow the forum and as always, you can return flirc should you not be happy.

Thanks again Chris.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I thought I'd set up my following of this thread so that I would get notified on replies but I haven't received anything so maybe I've done something wrong - I'll take a look at that a little later.

It sounds like anything I can think of will be addressed at some point in the future, and really, I can't imagine I'll be unhappy.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I thought I'd set up my following of this thread so that I would get notified on replies but I haven't received anything so maybe I've done something wrong

Probably not, I think a few people are having a problem with it.

I'm sure you'll like Flirc and find a use for it