Flirc Forums

Windows 8

testmetest

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this? Windows 8 is, of course, just around the corner - literally - and many of us have had it for a while thanks to MSDN.

While the workaround in this post is serviceable - and thanks for that, TBS and others - it's hardly a long term solution. For that matter, it's been a long spell without an FLIRC update and there are several other issues that need addressing - what's the state of the new release?

By the way...

I've installed that Flirc drivers on Windows Server 2012 x64 without any problems.

2012 Server uses the same NT kernel as Windows 8 but is significantly different in most other aspects, including driver signing, so this isn't too surprising.

It'd be nice to have an update. Despite all the drama around Windows 8 and Metro (and likely a lower adoption rate as a result in my opinion) the fact is in about a week it's going to be on a lot of computers, and move up from there. If anything, it's Kiosk mode is even better and easier to implement than Windows 7, meaning that for users that want (or need) a Windows-based XBMC box will flock to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get the .96 drivers working by disabling driver signature enforcement: http://laslow.net/20...t-in-windows-8/

Yes, that's basically what we've been talking about. In fact that page more or less exactly replicates instructions earlier in this thread :)

It's not a good solution. Not only will it throw of a lot of users - and now that Windows 8 is officially released, that will happen more often - but it's a huge security risk because you are disabling signature enforcement for all drivers.

I understand it's more or less a one man show with volunteer help, and I've been supportive of the effort (and I've also bought 4 FLIRC modules) but the lack of updates on this and many other issues is really starting to bum me out where this product is concerned. At the end of the day it is a paid product.

Yes, that's basically what we've been talking about. In fact that page more or less exactly replicates instructions earlier in this thread :)

It's not a good solution. Not only will it throw of a lot of users - and now that Windows 8 is officially released, that will happen more often - but it's a huge security risk because you are disabling signature enforcement for all drivers.

I understand it's more or less a one man show with volunteer help, and I've been supportive of the effort (and I've also bought 4 FLIRC modules) but the lack of updates on this and many other issues is really starting to bum me out where this product is concerned. At the end of the day it is a paid product.

You are absolutely justified, and it's easily perceived as though I've neglected the project. I promise it's not the case. I'm working so hard behind the scenes so that I don't waste time on repetitive tasks, that it's taken time away from being able to keep up with development. But I'm pretty much done with that. I do this alone, and on the side of a full time job. But, every second of free time I have goes into this project because I absolutely love it and the supportive customers. I wish so much that I can do this full time, it's truly my passion, but I wouldn't be able to support my family.

This is not an excuse, but just an explanation. Not only will I address the windows 8 issue immediately, but expect more frequent updates as I'm pretty much knee's deep in development again.

A special thanks to Chris for always notifying me of forum updates, which I sometimes miss.

Again, I will post an update on this thread as soon as I figure out how to get a signed driver in my app. Expect firmware issues to be resolved, better documentation, and more features.

My sincerest apologies for the lack off communication, I'm going to make a commitment to update my blog once a week.

Sorry guys, I wasn't getting updated of thread events.

In windows 8, go into device manager. Right click flirc, and update driver. You need to say have disk, and point to the files I attached.

So sorry for the confusion, the attached isn't an executable.

Did you guys who received an error try the same method?

Let me know. I'll try and get to the bottom of this. Yes, I'll update the installer once I can confirm it works for people other than myself.

Sorry guys, I wasn't getting updated of thread events.

In windows 8, go into device manager. Right click flirc, and update driver. You need to say have disk, and point to the files I attached.

So sorry for the confusion, the attached isn't an executable.

Did you guys who received an error try the same method?

Let me know. I'll try and get to the bottom of this. Yes, I'll update the installer once I can confirm it works for people other than myself.

I used the exact method you just outlined. But I still get the same error.

Hey Guys, I don't want to leave you hanging, this is turning out to be puzzlingly difficult. Here is a solution that you can use in the mean time. Since I use libusb, there is a free safe utility that creates a signed driver on the fly. I've outlined the steps to do this, it's extremely straight forward:

http://flirc.clarify-it.com/d/epnthl

The drivers these create are one time use, they wont work if you try to share them, which is what I initially did wrong. I'm trying to figure out how to solve that. Thanks everyone.

Hey Guys, I don't want to leave you hanging, this is turning out to be puzzlingly difficult. Here is a solution that you can use in the mean time. Since I use libusb, there is a free safe utility that creates a signed driver on the fly. I've outlined the steps to do this, it's extremely straight forward:

http://flirc.clarify-it.com/d/epnthl

The drivers these create are one time use, they wont work if you try to share them, which is what I initially did wrong. I'm trying to figure out how to solve that. Thanks everyone.

I have tried the solution you provided via the link. So far it has work great, but it seems like the flirc registers quite a few double presses. Has anyone else experienced that?

I have tried the solution you provided via the link. So far it has work great, but it seems like the flirc registers quite a few double presses. Has anyone else experienced that?

What kind of remote are you using? It's most likely a remote issue. The driver is just to do the initial pairing, otherwise it's all the firmware.

What kind of remote are you using? It's most likely a remote issue. The driver is just to do the initial pairing, otherwise it's all the firmware.

I'm using a Harmony 300. In Windows 7 it's didn't double press but in Windows 8 it does, but it might be a coincidence. At least my remote is functioning now :)